André Beckershoff, M.A.
|Name:||André Beckershoff 貝安德|
|Project Title:||Contesting Hegemony: Social forces in the Re-Making of Cross-Strait relations|
|Phone:||+49 (07071) 2973112|
Peer Reviewed Articles
- "The KMT-CCP Forum: Securing Consent for Cross-Strait Rapprochement." In: Journal of Current Chinese Affairs, Vol. 43, No. 1, 2014, pp 213-241. (FULL TEXT)
- "Seizing the Transnational – Ideology, Hegemony, and the Doubling of China-Taiwan Relations." In: Spectrum - Journal of Global Studies, Vol. 6, No. 1, 2014, pp 1-21. (FULL TEXT)
- "The Sunflower Movement. Origins, structures, and strategies of Taiwan's resistance against the 'Black Box'." In: Taiwan's Social Movements Under Ma Ying-jeou. From the Wild Strawberries to the Sunflowers, Ed. by Dafydd Fell. 2017. London: Routledge. pp 113-133. (LINK)
- "Bourdieu und die Mafia: Die Transformation des Michael Corleone" In: Politische Theorie im Film, Ed. by Ulrich Hamenstädt. 2016. Wiebaden: VS Springer. pp 19-37. (LINK)
- (2016) “Pierre Bourdieu and the Godfather: An Analysis of Power you can't refuse." Paper prepared for the ECPR General Conference organised by the European Consortium on Political Research (ECPR). Prague, 7–10 September.
- (2016) “Beyond Counter-Hegemony. A Praxeological Approach to Hegemonic Contestation." Paper prepared for the ‘Nachwuchstagung IPÖ’ organised by the Arbeitskreis Internationale Politische Ökonomie (Deutsche Vereinigung für Politische Wissenschaft). Kassel, 19–20 May.
- (2015) “The Political Economy of the Cross-Strait Rapprochement. Anatomy of a Hegemonic Project." Paper prepared for the joint workshop by the ERCCT (Tübingen) and the China Policy Institute (Nottingham). Tübingen, 12-13 December 2015.
- (2014) “Resisting the 'Black Box': Taiwan's Sunflower Movement and the re-politicisation of the Cross-Strait Rapprochement." Paper prepared for the Joint International Conference by the Research Network "Governance in China" and the Association for Social Science Research on China (ASC). Berlin, 21-22 November 2014.
- (2013) “Hegemony, Symbolic Power, and Governmentality – Critical approaches to the study of cross-Strait integration.” Paper presented at the Workshop "Cross-Strait Relations in an Era of Technological Change: Security, Economic and Cultural Dimensions". St Antony's College, University of Oxford, UK, 5 March 2013.
- (2012) “Seizing the Transnational: A Neo-Gramscian Analysis of the Hegemonic Project Across the Taiwan Strait.” Paper presented at the First Spectrum Conference on Global Studies. METU, Ankara, Turkey, 2–3 November 2012.
- (2012) “The Transnationalization of the Taiwan Strait – Social Forces in the Re-Making of Cross-Strait Relations.” Paper presented at the ERCCT Young Scholars Workshop. Blaubeuren and Tübingen, June 26 – July 1 2012.
- (2011) "Sovereignty: Taking the Relations in International Relations Seriously." Paper presented at the 52nd annual meeting of the International Studies Association. Montreal, 16– 19 March 2011.
- (2010) "Sovereignty in Conflict: Practicing Difference within the Westphalian Order." Paper presented at the 2nd Annual Graduate Conference of the Cluster of Excellence “The Formation of Normative Orders”. Frankfurt, 3–5 December 2010.
- (2010) "Die narrative Konstruktion internationaler Politik: Die Dynamik der Identität Taiwans unter Berücksichtigung des Rüstungswettlaufs mit China." Paper presented at the 9th Graduate Conference of the Section "International Politics" of the German Political Science Association (Deutsche Vereinigung Politische Wissenschaft). Arnoldshain, 28–30 May 2010.
- (2015) "Zivilgesellschaft in Taiwan und Hongkong: Interaktionen mit der Volksrepublik China" Roundtable during the conference "Civil Society in Taiwan and Hong Kong - Looking back and Reaching out", co-organised by the Department of Chinese Studies at the University of Zurich and the Taiwanese Studies Program of the China Policy Institute at the University of Nottingham. University of Zürich, 8 June 2015.
- (2014) "Bourdieu und die Mafia: Die Transformation des Michael Corleone in 'Der Pate'." Talk organised by POLIS for the series "Politik ist überall" at the Dept. of Political Science, University of Tübingen. 5 June 2014.
- (2012) "Status Quo Vadis? The Symbolic Economy of Cross-Strait Relations." Presented at the conference "Reframing the ROC – History, Politics, Constitutionalism & Political Symbolism in the Reconceptualization of the Republic & Cross-Straits Relations." Hsinchu, Taiwan, 6–7 January 2012.
- (2011) "The Changing Logic of Cross-Strait Relations: A Field Approach to the Political Economy of the Taiwan Strait." Public lecture at the Department of Political Science, National Chengchi University, Taipei, Taiwan, 21 September 2011.
Current Research Project
The relations between China and Taiwan have until recently been characterized by the contradiction of economic integration and political antagonism. Most puzzling is the form their recent political rapprochement has taken: as ideological obstacles block the road to formal intergovernmental cooperation, political practices have been displaced into the transnational space. In his PhD project "The Transnationalization of Cross-Strait Relations" (working title), André Beckershoff asks why inter-actions across the Strait have taken this particular form. What are the conditions of its emergence? How can we best describe its inner workings? What are the consequences of the transnationalization of authority?
Building on the thought of Antonio Gramsci and Pierre Bourdieu, the project seeks to empirically analyze the specific mechanisms by which the hegemonic project across various civil society factions seeks to create consent, to forge compromises, to co-opt, or to marginalize integration-skeptic forces. It further asks, how the relationship of economic and political relations are re-articulated in the light of these developments, and how legitimacy is constructed.
André Beckershoff, M.A., born in Münster, studied Political Science (major), Modern History and Public Law (minors) at the University of Münster, where in 2008 he earned his degree (Magister Artium) with his master thesis “The China-Taiwan Conflict as an Arms Race Environment”.
In 2005 and 2006 he studied at the Institut d’Études Politiques (IEP) in Toulouse, France. In 2011 and 2012 he was Visiting Research Fellow at the Department of Political Science at the National Chengchi University (NCCU), Taipei, Taiwan.
Areas of Interest and Research
- International Political Economy
- International Political Sociology
- Social Movements
- Cross-Strait Relations
- Historical Materialism and Critical Theory
- Political Systems of Greater China (2013)
- Introductory Seminar on Greater China (2010/2011)
- International Studies Association (ISA)
- European Association of Taiwan Studies (EATS)
- Deutsche Vereinigung für Politikwissenschaft (DVPW)
- German Association for Asian Studies (DGA)