Excellence Strategy



Who is eligible to apply?

Advanced PhD candidates and postdocs who have received their PhD within the last 4 years. Preferably from strategically important partners of the University of Tübingen.

PhD candidates and postdocs who are currently or have been funded by other projects at the University of Tübingen or already had an employment contract at the University of Tübingen in the past are not eligible to apply.

Partner Universities of Tübingen 

CIVIS Alliance 

How do I apply for an extension?

The maximum length of stay within the Teach@Tübingen Fellowship is 1 year (2 semesters). For the submission of an application for extension apply the same deadlines as for new applications (June, 20 and November, 20). Within this application period you apply as usual as you did the first time.

Online Application Portal 

For the application you will need the following documents

  • A letter from you explaining why you would like to extend, what you´ve done in the first semester regarding teaching and research and what you´re intending to do in the second semester
  • The second letter must be written by your host, arguing why he/she would like to extend your Teach@Tübingen Fellowship at the university for another semester, how the relationship has been to date (integration of the fellow), what the work of the fellow has been, what is planned for the next semester and what is the added value of the extended stay for the chair/institute, etc.

Am I also eligible to apply if my university is not in the list of partner universities?

You are eligible to apply for the Fellowship, even if your university is not included in the list of the strategically important partners of the University of Tübingen. This is "nice to have" but not a must for the application.

When will I be informed about the result of my application?

Since the reviewing process takes a while, you will normally receive a reply within 3-4 weeks after the application deadline.

How do I get a hosting professor in Tübingen?

You are getting in touch with a professor who you would like to work with and discuss the opportunity for hosting you within the Teach@Tübingen Fellowship with him or her.

Teaching & Classes

How long does a lecture in Germany take?

A lecture normally consists of two academic hours (90 min/2 SWS) per week.

How much do I get for teaching remuneration?

The amount of the teaching remuneration depends on your status and on the number of hours you are teaching

  • PhD candidate = EUR 25/teaching hour
  • PostDoc = EUR 50/teaching hour

When will the teaching remuneration be paid?

The remuneration for teaching will be paid as one lump sum towards the end of each semester.

How many hours do I have to teach?

You need to teach at least 2 hours per week and may teach up to 6 hours per week.

What does "SWS" mean?

The German expression for academic hour or teaching hour is Semesterwochenstunde or simply SWS.

Finances & Funding

When will I receive the stipend rate for Postdocs?

Once you have passed your viva, you will receive the stipend rate for Postdocs. To get the higher rate you have to inform the Teach@Tübingen office and submit your PhD certificate there. If you are not yet in possession of a formal certificate for your PhD, meanwhile a letter from your university confirming that you will have fulfilled all degree requirements (usually that you will have passed your viva with minor corrections) will suffice.

What is the fellowship rate?

  • PhD candidates = EUR 1468/month
  • PostDocs = EUR 1853/month

The fellowship rate is made up as follows: the stipend (PhD candidates: EUR 1365, Postdocs: EUR 1750) and an allowance for expenditures on material during your stay in Tübingen (EUR 103).

Do I get reimbursed for my travel expenses to Tübingen?

The Teach@Tübingen Fellowship covers your travel costs up to a maximum of EUR 1500 to travel to and from Tübingen. You will be reimbursed once you’ve arrived in Tübingen.

Please keep all invoices, tickets and online boarding passes to claim for your expenses and hand them in at the Teach@Tübingen Office together with the corresponding form for travel expenses you will find in the internal section of the website.

General info

Where can I learn German?

If you are a researcher at the University of Tübingen, you may be able to join the German classes offered by the department of German as a Foreign Language (Deutsch als Fremdsprache - DaF) of the University of Tübingen. This department offers a range of courses for different levels. They also offer special courses for doctoral students and academic staff. Further information can be found on the department's website.
German Courses

There are also several other options to learn German in Tübingen

How to find accomodation in Tübingen?

Tübingen is a small town with a big university. Therefore, finding accommodation can be a challenge and it's best to start looking as early as possible.

The Welcome Center for international researchers will be glad to assist you finding housing in Tübingen.
Welcome Center 

What kind of insurance do I need?

Since the approval of the fellowship does not constitute employment status at the University you will not automatically be covered by health, unemployment, or retirement insurance through the funding period. You will therefore need to arrange for health insurance coverage for yourself. Please make sure your insurance coverage begins on your first day in Germany, as we will need proof of health insurance for your stay in Tübingen. Please provide us with the insurance certificate after your arrival in Tübingen.

Helpful information about insurances

Often used by academics for short stays, foreign health insurance

If you have any questions concerning health insurance
Welcome Center 

Helpful tips and explanations on insurances in Germany
Tübingen Research Campus / Banks and Insurance 

When should I arrive in Tübingen to start my fellowship?

We recommend you arrive by the first week of April/October at the latest, since there are a few important organizational issues that need to be resolved before the semester starts.

Please inform the Teach@Tübingen Office about your exact arrival date, so we can set up an individual date for your first meeting to welcome you and get along with signing your official fellowship agreement and starting the additional paperwork.

Semester Dates

Coming with your family?

Be sure to bring your marriage certificate and your children's birth certificates, if your family will be accompanying you. These documents should be in German or English or accompanied by a certified translation and, if possible, should bear an apostille. If your children are coming to Tübingen with you, the Welcome Center will be happy to assist you in getting in touch with schools, kindergarten or daycare centers. Depending on your type of visa, you may be entitled to child benefits as well.

Please get in touch with the Welcome Center for support.
Welcome Center  

Here you will find information on coming to Tübingen and living here with your family:
Tübingen Research Campus / Family

Where do I get help with my visa?

Usually, citizens of other countries will need a visa to travel to Germany. Thus, please make sure to apply for your visa at a German embassy or consulate in your current country of residence. If you have any questions concerning visa issues and how to deal with it please contact the Welcome Center.
Welcome Center

Detailed information regarding visa matters
Tübingen Research Campus / Visa

Which e-learning platforms are available at the University of Tübingen?

There are several online platforms at the University of Tübingen which are used for the organization of the classes and teaching.


This is mostly used for uploading information and material for the students though it has a range of other possibilities. In order to get teachers access (course administration rights) for ILIAS you need to send an email to Mr. Stefan van den Kroonenberg, University Library Tübingen, stefan.van-den-kroonenbergspam prevention@uni-tuebingen.de. You can only do this once you’ve received your University email address and login form the Welcome Center.


Moodle is used just like Ilias for course administration. Here you can also upload course material for the students, communicate with the course participants, etc. You can register at moddle with your university login.


This platform is used for the general organization of the classes (course schedule, general information on the classes (i.e. number of teaching hours, dates, place…), enrolling in classes, room booking …) and for the upload of grades. The information about Campus isn’t available in English at the moment, so please discuss with your host whether you need access to Campus or not. The access rights are administered individually by the institutes.
Campus Portal