Dr. Franz von Lucke
Since October 2012, Franz von Lucke is a researcher at the chair of Professor Diez at the IR / Peace and Conflict research cluster. At the moment, he works in the project „Zusammenhalt durch Sicherheit? Diskurse, Interaktionen und Praktiken des europäischen Zusammenhaltes im Feld Sicherheit (ZUSE)“ where he looks at the role of security discourses in the creation of a European identity and European integration process. From 2012 to 2016 he was part of the project ‘The Securitisation of Climate Change: Actors, Processes and Consequences (ClimaSec)’ and from 2016 to 2020 he worked in the project ‘Reconsidering European Contributions to Global Justice (GLOBUS)’, where he particularly focused on the EU’s contribution to climate justice.
He studied Political Science (major; focus on International Relations) and Social/Cultural Anthropology (minor) at the University of Hamburg. In June 2011 he graduated as “Diplom-Politologe” (master’s degree in political science. During an internship in the Nicaragua offices of the GIZ (German development cooperation) he conducted a field research in an indigenous community (Mayangna). At the University of Hamburg he worked as a student assistant and coordinated an international research project about norms in the field of fisheries governance. In his diploma thesis he looked at the securitisation of climate change with a focus on its consequences in the field of development cooperation and politics. After completing his diploma he worked at the KlimaCampus of the University of Hamburg. His research concentrated on theories of securitization and their application on the politics of climate change.
In the ClimaSec project, his PhD (which he successfully concluded in October 2018) and the associated book publication ‘The Securitisation of Climate Change and the Governmentalisation of Security’, he continued working on these issues with a focus on the country case studies USA, Germany and Mexico.
• Environmental and Climate Politics, Climate Justice
• Critical Security Studies
• EU Studies, European Foreign Policy, Ontological (In)Security in the EU
• Critical and Poststructural Approaches
• Development Politics
• Peace and Conflict Studies
• Regional interest: EU, North America, Latin America
von Lucke, Franziskus (2023) The EU and China in the Climate Regime: Exploring Different Pathways Towards Climate Justice Asia Europe Journal January 2023
von Lucke, Franziskus (2022) La politique climatique allemande sous l’angle de la politique extérieure et de sécurité: une solution d’avenir? Allemagne d'aujourd'hui 239(1): 111-123.
von Lucke, Franziskus, Thomas Diez, Solveig Aamodt, Bettina Ahrens (2021) 'The EU and Global Climate Justice: Normative Power Caught in Normative Battles' London: Routledge.
von Lucke, Franziskus (2021) 'Principled Pragmatism in Climate Policy? The EU and Changing Practices of Climate Justice' Political Geography 86: April 2021.
von Lucke, Franziskus (2020) Die internationalen Klimaverhandlungen: Auf der Suche nach gerechten und effektiven Lösungen oder viel Lärm um nichts? Politikum 6(2): 22-29
von Lucke, Franziskus (2020) 'The Securitisation of Climate Change and the Governmentalisation of Security', Houndmills Basingstoke: Palgrave.
von Lucke, Franziskus (2018) 'Linking Climate Change and Security in Mexico: Explorations into an Attempted Securitisation in the Global South', Journal of International Relations and Development 21(2): 415–441.
von Lucke, Franziskus (2017) ‘O Justice, Where Art Thou? Developing a New Take on Climate Justice. GLOBUS Research Paper 1/2017’, Oslo.
von Lucke, Franziskus, Wellmann, Zehra and Diez, Thomas (2016) 'Klimakämpfe: Eine komparative Studie der Versicherheitlichung von Klimawandel', Zeitschrift für Internationale Beziehungen, 23(2): 112-143.
Diez, Thomas, von Lucke, Franziskus, Wellmann, Zehra (2016) The Securitisation of Climate Change: Actors. Processes and Consequences. London: Routledge.
Oels, Angela and von Lucke, Franziskus (2015) 'Gescheiterte Versicherheitlichung oder Sicherheit im Wandel: Hilft uns die Kopenhagener Schule beim Thema Klimawandel?', Zeitschrift für Internationale Beziehungen 22(1): 43-70.
von Lucke, Franziskus, Diez, Thomas and Wellmann, Zehra (2014) 'What's at Stake in Securitising Climate Change? Towards a Differentiated Approach', Geopolitics 19(4): 857-884.
Media Contributions and Public Lectures
- Justice in the International Climate Regime, lecture at the rehearsal opening of the Tübingen Room Theatre at the Institute for Theatrical Futurology, May 2019https://www.zimmertheater-tuebingen.de/termin/44
- Public speech on intra- and intergenerational climate justice and the global climate regime at the Tübingen Fridays for Future demonstration, May 24th 2019
- Green principled pragmatism: How the EU combines normative and consequentialist motivations in its climate policy, article in LSE Europp blog, May 2019 https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2019/05/01/green-principled-pragmatism-how-the-eu-combines-normative-and-consequentialist-motivations-in-its-climate-policy/
- Climate justice: Which means may (& should) be used? Workshop at the Week of Links, April 2019 http://weekoflinks.org/workshops/
- Climate justice from Kyoto to Paris, Global Justice Blog, June 2017 https://www.globus.uio.no/resources/global-justice-blog/von-lucke-from-kyoto-to-paris.html
Topic of PhD Thesis
The Securitisation of Climate Change and the Governmentalisation of Security
(succesfully concluded in October 2018)