Ethical questions pervade all areas of our everyday life. We encounter them in our private or professional lives, in the education or health system, in science or in road traffic ... The aim of applied (or, as we like to call it, practice-oriented) ethics is to find answers to concrete challenges by referring to ethical theoretical approaches.
The certificate 'Ethics in Practice' offers students of all subjects the opportunity to deal with concrete ethical questions and to learn methods of ethical decision-making. The aim of the certificate is not to find 'correct' answers to moral questions, but to expand your ethical reflection and argumentation skills.
For the acquisition of the certificate, achievements amounting to a total of 12 ECTS points must be acquired. These are divided into two partial modules:
1. basic course in ethical reasoning (min. 3 ECTS)
Here the fundamentals of ethical argumentation are introduced. There is a free choice of different basic courses - some introduce the basics historically, some systematically, others exemplarily by means of a topic.
2. elective range (min. 3 courses)
Here at least three courses on ethical topics in society, science and profession are freely selected. For example
- Current social issues: euthanasia, treatment of refugees, animal ethics...
- Questions from science ethics and science theory: ethics of biology, normative foundations of science ...
- Ethical questions: Ethical dimensions of the teaching profession, ethical responsibility of managers in companies...