Visiting professors and lecturers, students of summer school and exchange programmes as well as anyone with an academic interest are welcome to use the media and services of the University library.
Tübingen university library and its holdings date back into the 15th century. It is the central lending library of the university of Tübingen. In addition it is part of the special collections system where it supplies media in specialized fields nationwide by interlibrary loan. The subjects of these special collectitons are:
Theology, Religious studies, Ancient Oriental studies and Criminology (the latter in cooperation with the Institute for Criminology).
How to prepare your stay at the library
Check our website and contact us
- Check whether the library is open on the date you plan to come. Here are the opening times and closing days of the library.
- Contact us as soon as possible. Tell us, what you would like to do here. We can help to make your stay as efficient as possible.
- Our general contact form you can find on our website on the right column.
- In case you would like to contact the person responsible for your subject please check this list of our subject specialists
Get acquainted with the layout ot the university campus and the library
- The University library is situated on Wilhelmstrasse, opposite of the University's mensa. Here is the map of the university and info about how to get there.
Important note concerning the duration of your stay
- It is important to know that most of our books are shelved in closed stacks and must be ordered from there. It can tak up to a whole day until the books are ready for use!
- If you plan only a short stay of less than a week, we suggest that you check the titles you would like to use beforehand and then order as soon as you arrive in the library.
When you are here ...
Just come in
You can enter the library without any formalities. Once you are here you automatically accept our Benutzungsordnung.
If you like to go to the reading areas in Ammerbau or into the Historical Reading Room we ask you to put your coat etc as well as bags, rucksacks and the like in lockers.
Most of the lockers need a padlock. You can either bring your own padlock or buy one for 4 Euros at the issue desk in "Ausleihzentrum". There are also "refund-lockers" where you put in a 1-Euro or 2-Euro coin which you get back when you collect your things.
Ordering books from the stacks
For ordering books via the lending system you can apply for a guest library card at the info desk in Ammerbau. Please bring a valid identity card or passport.
With this guest card you can order books for use in the "Allgemeiner Leseaal" (=Ammerbau area) or the "Historischer Lesesaal" (=Historical reading room)
- You cannot, however, borrow books for taking out of the library.
Exceptions possible for guest lecturers
Guest lecturers / professors, who are closely connected with one of the University's institutes and who will stay at least 3 months can obtain a library card which enables them to take books out of the library.
Please come with a representative of the relevant institute and apply for this library card at the issue desk.
- You can buy a reloadable chip card (also called "Mensakarte" or "Gästekarte") for paying photocopies from photocopy machines all over the university. There is a vending machine in Bonatzbau, room B005. The chip cards are also available at the InfoPoints in several places of the university
- The price of 10 Euros include 5 Euro deposit and 5 Euro credit.
- You can reload the chip card at a "Chipkarten-Aufladegerät" which you can find in room B005 in Bonatzbau, in the photocopy rooms in Ammerbau on level 3 and level 4 and in the branch library for natural sciences.
- When you leave Tübingen you can hand back your chip card at one of the InfoPoints. Here you will get back the 5 Euro deposit as well as any remaining credit on it.
- More info about the chip cards you will find on the website of the "Studentenwerk".