Unpredictable and difficult times present unique challenges. The ZDV would like to support you as far as possible in your work in research, teaching and administration.
We have prepared two kits for this:
- The Working groups kit provides digital tools to ensure that teams can continue to collaborate.
- The Teaching kit can help you with finding and implementing alternatives to presence teaching.
We hope that these will help you to deal with the current situation more easily.
The ZDV team
The ZDV is dedicated to supporting its users well and this will continue during these challenging times; please contact
support for e-mail support. @zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Some of the new digital services listed here have been made available to you in a very short time to meet the changing requirements caused by the corona virus. Therefore, users should be aware that new services may not perform to the expected standards and be assured that we will continue to adapt and improve these services.
After returning to normal operation, some of these services may be discontinued.
In the current situation, communication networks are facing unprecedented demand. The scientific network BelWü, the direct connection of the University of Tübingen to the Internet, and the Germany-wide DFN network are well-designed for this purpose.
On the other hand, bottlenecks are to be expected in private communication networks, i.e. when working from home, and videoconferencing services are particularly affected. In this situation it can be helpful to try different videoconferencing services which may offer a better quality of service depending on the network configuration.
- Virtual Private Network VPN:
VPN gives you worldwide access to the internal university network and the associated services, especially when working from home.
The ZDV has greatly expanded capacity for VPN access due to the current situation, bottlenecks are therefore unlikely.
- Cloud service: The universal cloud service for sharing files and accessing files from different devices, including collaborative editing of Office documents is Microsoft 365 (formerly Office 365).
- Videoconferencing: Videoconferencing is currently in great demand. We are continuously working on expanding services in light of potential bottlenecks.
All of these services can be accessed with an updated web browser, additional features may be available by installing software. A headset is recommended in all cases.
- DFNconf: This is the official video conferencing tool provided by the German National Research and Education Network DFN (based on Pexip software). Bottlenecks are currently being observed in relation to this service.
- Microsoft Teams: Microsoft Teams is part of Microsoft 365 (formerly Office 365). You can use this software to create teams, invite attendees, hold video conferences, edit documents from Microsoft 365, chat, and more.
- Zoom: Due to the strong demand, zoom licenses are also provided for use in teaching; the allocation of licenses takes place via reports from the dean's offices. For urgent inquiries, please contact zoom-admin. With the university zoom licenses (EDU) video conferences can be carried out with up to 300 participants and of any length. Special licenses for up to 500 participants are available for larger events. @uni-tuebingen.de
You can find detailed instructions in the Zoom Help Center. Please also note the Zoom Security Guide.
- Jitsi: A simple videoconferencing solution that operates entirely in the internal network; this is particularly preferred when a small number of participants want to use a videoconference from their university workplace.
The Ministry for Science, Research and the Arts (MWK) has cancelled all teaching until April 20. In order to prepare for teaching after this date, even if there is a possible further need to cancel presence teaching, several modules will be prepared in cooperation with the University Library and Division III.
- timms: suitable courses for the summer semester 2020 are being selected from the timms archive and supplemented with Ilias/moodle.
- LectureCast: About 50 events in the summer semester are broadcast live with simplified production technology via timmscast for students. Access is via a special area in moodle.
- Microsoft Teams: With this cloud platform you can quickly and easily create simple (but functional) as well as very sophisticated and professional courses.
- Screen cast: The preparation of classical presentations including spoken elements and more, which will be broadcast in video formats via the learning platforms.
- Use of open education resources in the learning platforms.
- Special recommendations should be provided for videoconferencing in seminars.