The department of sociology offers the degree programs Bachelor in Sociology and Master in Sociology with focus on empirical research. Both courses start in the winter semester.
- You can get an overview of the current range of courses in the online university course catalogue or as a printable version (in German only).
- Archive of courses of previous semesters
Sociology can be studied as a major and as a minor subject (60 ECTS).
Per year (intake only in the winter semester) up to 88 students can start their studies with sociology as a major and 45 students with sociology as their minor subject. The standard period of study is 6 semester.
Exemplary study plans (from WS 2018/19 on)
The consecutive 4-semester master course provides further academic qualification in sociology with particular focus on quantitative and qualitative methods on empirical social research. The courses focus on three topic areas:
- Gender – Bodies– Knowledge
- Social Inequality and Institutions
- Migration, Education and Life Course
Student research project extending over three semesters to train practical research competence
Please make yourself familar with the exam regulation and the module handbook of your degree course in order to find out which courses are compulsory. You must register for the course via the campus system.