Professor, Chair of Greater China Studies
Director, European Research Center on Contemporary Taiwan (ERCCT)
- Since 2003 Professor of Greater China Studies, University of Tübingen
- Since 2008 Director, European Reasearch Center on Contemporary Taiwan (ERCCT), University of Tübingen
- 2000 Habilitation
- 1994-2003 Senior Research Fellow of Politics and Society in East Asia and China, Protestant Institute of Interdisciplinary Research (FESt), Heidelberg
- 1994 PhD in Political Science
- 1993-1994 Research Fellow, Institute of Political Science, University of Hamburg
- 1990-1993 Visiting Fellow, Institute of International Relations, National Chengchi University, Taipei, Taiwan
- 1989 M.A. in Political Science
Prof. Schubert specializes in policy implementation in contemporary China from the perspective of steering theory, with a focus on private sector reform and the evolution of state-business relations, particularly in China’s local state; the political economy of cross-strait relations, including the changing economic and political environment of Taiwanese entrepreneurs in China; and Taiwanese domestic politics. He also studies regime legitimacy and nationalism in China, Hong Kong politics, and the politics and culture of the Chinese in Southeast Asia. Prof. Schubert conducts several months of field work in China, Taiwan and Hong Kong.
The Taiwan Handbook on Contemporary Taiwan, Abingdon-New York: Routledge, 2016 (editor). Taiwan and the 'China Impact'. Challenges and Opportunities, Abingdon-New York: Routledge, 2016 (editor); 主动的地方政治 – 作为战略群体的县乡干部 (Proactive Local Politics: County and Township Cadres as Strategic Group), Beijing: Central Compilation & Translation Press, 2013 (edited with Thomas Heberer and Yang Xuedong). Participation and Empowerment at the Grassroots – Chinese Village Elections in Perspective, Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2012 (co-written by Anna L. Ahlers).
Prof. Schubert is a member of the editorial boards of numerous renowned international journals, including The China Quarterly, China Perspectives und Issues & Studies. He is also co-editor of the book series "East Asia in the 21st Century. Politics-Society-Security-Regional Integration" (Ostasien im 21. Jahrhundert. Politik-Gesellschaft-Sicherheit-Regionale Integration), published by Springer. In 2008, he founded the European Research Center on Contemporary Taiwan (ERCCT) and serves as its director since then. Prof. Schubert is also vice-director of the Institute of Asian and Oriental Studies (AOI) at the University of Tübingen.