Institute of English Languages and Literatures

Frequently Asked Questions

Which (further) foreign languages do I need to know to commence my studies?

Any proof of your foreign language level has to be acknowledged by the Registrar's Office (Prüfungsamt). They will answer any further questions about this topic. This PDF file provides an overview of the language requirements for each of the degree programs offered by the English Department.

How many additional semesters do I get for learning a required foreign language at university?

If your Abitur certificate cannot provide proof of your knowledge in a required foreign language, the following regulations apply:

Recognition of prior credits (Scheinanerkennung)

The following faculty members are able to perform official recognitions of prior credits, e.g. for classes taken in other departments or at other universities:

When do classes begin and end?

Since semester start and end dates as well as holidays vary, the deadlines to apply for classes and exams and to renew your university enrollment may be different each semester. You can always find up-to-date information on semester dates.

Application deadlines for class signup and exam signup are published on our department homepage as well as our Facebook page.

This screenshot from Campus shows the most important information on dates and times pertinent to specific classes:

The area circled in red shows the application period for this specific class. The duration of the class is highlighted in green, the exact time in dark blue, and the location in light blue.

Times indicated as "c.t." are cum tempore, i.e. 12 c.t. means the class will start at 12:15 p.m.
The expression "s.t." stands for sine tempore, i.e. 12 s.t. would be 12:00 noon sharp.
Classes will usually end 15 minutes before the announced time to allow students to walk to the next class.

To apply for placement or see the number of available places click on the links in the area marked in orange.

How do I sign up for classes?

Prior to each semester, all students must apply online for placement in their desired classes. Students are highly encouraged to use all of their four priorities when applying.

Application periods may vary for first-semester students as well as for lectures and any other type of class. The application period is indicated on the details page of every class listing in the Campus system, so be sure to take note of the deadline for each of your desired classes.

What can I do if I was not admitted to any classes?

Admission to classes after the registration period is over is usually handled by the Helpdesk. Please contact them for further information.

What is a tutorial?

Tutorials usually take place in the context of a larger lecture, for example the Introduction to Literary Studies or the Introduction to Cultural Studies. While your main task during a lecture is to listen and to take notes, during a tutorial, you meet with a smaller group of students and a tutor—who is usually a more experienced student—once a week in order to talk about what you learned in the lecture.
In some tutorials, the tutor will also instruct you on general skills that you need in order to study successfully, such as writing, giving presentations, or using the library. Please read the description of the class listing on Campus carefully to see whether you have to sign up for a tutorial ahead of the upcoming semester's lectures. In some cases instructors for the lecture or accompanying seminars will pass around tutorial sign-up sheets during the first class session instead.

How do I use the libraries?

The first upper floor of the Brechtbau building houses the Fachbereichsbibliothek branch of the university library. Here you will find literature pertinent to your term paper research for classes taken in the English Department. While the collections of the Brechtbau Fachbereichsbibliothek are generally non-circulating, certain exceptions can be made. For more information on this and any other rules as well as the library’s opening hours, please see their web page at (in German only).

To find further literature please visit the main library (Universitätsbibliothek) building at Wilhelmstraße 32.

How do I sign up for exams?

The Campus system also allows you to sign up for exams ("My Functions | Administration of exams | Apply for exams"). Please do this if you can, as it is the most efficient option for all parties involved. Whenever this is not the case (e.g. if you're a student in the B.A. IAS program), manual registration is also possible. Instructors will usually pass around sign-up sheets for this purpose near the end of the semester. Otherwise, students can contact their instructor directly to let him or her know that they will be taking the exam.

Proof of credit: Campus, Scheine, and beyond

Exam results are generally recorded in the Campus system. Please allow some time for your exam to be graded and the grade to be entered. All students able to sign up for their exams online can view and print their exam results via "My Functions | Administration of exams | Exams Extract." If the credits for your exam do not appear in your Exams Extract (Notenspiegel) after a few weeks, please contact your instructor directly.

Please note that effective immediately, the practice of issuing paper "Scheine" to students as proof of credit has been abolished by the English Department. Instructors will instead submit lists of exam results directly to the Registrar's Office (Prüfungsamt) of the Faculty of Humanities (Philosophische Fakultät). Only exchange students (e.g. via ERASMUS) are exempted from this rule and will continue to receive Scheine.

While existing paper Scheine will of course be honored, responsibility for picking up Scheine and submitting them to the Registrar's Office resides with our students. Only exam scores listed in Campus are guaranteed to be permanent and can be printed out by students themselves. Students who require written proof of their exam results may also request an official transcript from the Registrar's Office at any time.

To track their progress toward completion of all required modules, students in the B.A. Interdisciplinary American Studies program are strongly advised to make use of the routing sheet (Laufzettel) available from the program's Curriculum page.

What is the plagiarism declaration?

Plagiarism—that is, copying from other writers without acknowledging your source—is one of the worst crimes in academia. Please make sure that you sign and attach a copy of the department's plagiarism declaration with each of your written papers. You can download the document here.

Where do I submit my term paper?

  1. Personally
    If no instructions are given in the class syllabus or during a session (which they usually are), please contact the instructor for information on where to hand in your paper. Instructors associated with the American Studies department usually have a mailbox in room 553, while most other faculty members have a mailbox in room 362.
  2. Via postal mail
    If you are unable to submit your paper in person, you can mail it to the following address instead:

    Englisches Seminar
    Philosophische Fakultät
    z.H. [recipient’s name]
    Wilhelmstr. 50 (Brechtbau)
    72074 Tübingen

What are the examination regulations (Prüfungsordnung)?

The examination regulations contain the general parameters with regard to your program of studies and are legally binding. In the regulations, you can find important information such as the number of semesters needed to complete the program, the proceedings, types, and dates of exams, terms and times for exam registrations, how many times you can repeat exams, how the final grade is calculated, and much more.

What is the module handbook?

As its title suggests, the module handbook contains information on each module that you have to take during the course of your studies. It indicates in detail how many credits you receive for a particular module, describes the content of a class and the class goals, and also specifies what kind of examination you need to do to pass the respective module.

In addition, the module handbook also contains more general information on the program itself, e.g. the structure and content, orientation and interim examinations, the Bachelor Thesis, and the composition of your final grade.

Which version of the exam regulations and module handbook applies to me?

Generally speaking, this depends on the semester in which you commenced your studies. The examination regulations and module handbooks of the English Department were updated between 2015 and 2016. These new regulations apply to all students who commenced their studies in or after the winter semester of 2016/17. Lehramt students are an exception; those who commenced their studies in or after the 2015/16 (!) winter semester study according to the new regulations of the Bachelor of Education.

If you began your studies prior to the semesters indicated above, the earlier version still applies to you. On the website of the Registrar's Office (Prüfungsamt) you can download current and archived versions of all exam regulations and module handbooks.

Where is the Registrar's Office (Prüfungsamt)?

The Registrar's Office for the Faculty of Humanities (Prüfungsamt der Philosophischen Fakultät) is located at Keplerstraße 2. Please visit their website to find the person associated with your degree program and see his or her office hours.

What do I need to consider when choosing seminars for the Advanced Module in Linguistics?

In order to gain knowledge is as many areas of linguistics as possible, students of the Advanced Module should attend seminars offered by another chair (Lehrstuhl) than the seminar they attended for the Basic Module.
The respective chairs are listed as (LS [name]) behind the seminar titles on CAMPUS.