The major focus of the research group is genetic analysis of fossil DNA from human remains. We apply novel techniques of high throughput DNA sequencing and targeted DNA enrichment to obtain insights into the history and evolution of extinct human populations.
The group focuses also on genome-wide analysis of historical pathogens to obtain insights into the evolution of infectious disease and to identify causative agents of major human pandemics, e.g. medieval plague or lepra.
- The Prehistoric Settlement of the Ach and the Lone Valley
- The Settlement of Europe
- European Research Council Starting Grant: Ancient Pathogen Genomics of Re-Emerging Infectious Disease
- Potato Plague Genome
- Black Death Genome Project
- Medieval Leprosy Genome Project
- WIN-Kolleg: A Time of Changes?
Further Informations: WG Archaeo- and Paleogenetics