Dr. Nils S. Borchers
Dr Nils Borchers is a research associate at the chair of Prof. Guido Zurstiege
Institut für Medienwissenschaft
+49 7071 29-72361
Office hours during the semester
- during term: Thursday, 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m., please make an appointment via email
- during term breaks: by arrangement, please make an appointment via email
Born 1982 in Lübeck, Germany. Studies in communication, Scandinavian culture and literature, psychology and Baltic culture and literature at Christian-Albrechts Universität, Kiel, Germany, Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster, Germany and Stockholms universitetet, Sweden. Magister Artium at Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster in 2009.
March till August 2009 Project Manager at NGO Eiropas Kustība Latvijā (European Movement, Latvia), Riga. October 2009 till August 2010 research associate at Department of Communication Studies, Münster U. September 2010 till June 2016 research associate at Department of Media and Communication Studies, Mannheim U (chair of Prof. Dr. Matthias Kohring). Dissertation in 2014 with a work on advertising communication. July 2016 till January 2020 research associate in Strategic Communication at Institute of Communication and Media Studies, Leipzig U (chair of Prof. Dr. Ansgar Zerfaß). Since February 2020 research associate in Empirical Media Studies at Institute of Media Studies, Tübingen U (chair of Prof. Dr. Guido Zurstiege).
Research interestst: strategic communication, digital communication (esp. peer-to-peer communication: online reviews, sharing economy, social media influencers) Kommunikation, Digitale Kommunikation (insb. Peer-Kommunikation: Online-Bewertungen, Sharing Economy, Influencer-Kommunikation), critical communication research, communication theory.
Practical experience in the fields of NGO, PR, public affairs & lobbying, local journalism, and radio journalism.
Further activities in media studies
- chair of the division Advertising Communication in the DGPuK (since 2018, former vice-chair) https://www.dgpuk.de/de/werbekommunikation.html
- founding member and member of organizational committee of the network Critical Communication Studies: https://kritischekommunikationswissenschaft.wordpress.com/
- former Young Scholars Representitive in the Temporary Working Group Advertising Research in the ECREA
- reviewer for various academic journals (e.g. International Journal of Strategic Communication, Convergence, Communications, SCM, Marketing Review St. Gallen)
- author of the Whitebook Code of Ethics Influencer Communication of the Bundesverband Influencer Marketing e.V. https://bvim.info/ethik/
- member of the project consellor board of the project “Sustainable consumption: Communication strategies and digital technologies” (Leipzig Graduate School of Management)
- Borchers, N. S. (2014). Werbekommunikation: Entwurf einer kommunikationswissen-schaftlichen Theorie der Werbung [Advertising Communication]. Wiesbaden: SpringerVS.
- Borchers, N. S. (2019). Social media influencer in strategic communication. Special issue of the International Journal of Strategic Communication, 13(4).
- Enke, N., & Borchers, N. S. (2019). Social media influencers in strategic communication: A conceptual framework of strategic social media influencer communication. International Journal of Strategic Communication, 13(4), 261-277.