General Packing Tips

Electrical Items

The electric current in Germany is 220 volts and 50 cycles (U.S. standards are 110 volts and 60 cycles). To convert the 220 voltage energy to 110 voltage (for your appliance to function), you will need to purchase a travel voltage converter (or, if the appliance is relatively inexpensive, purchase a new one once you get to Germany). Transformers and adapters can be found at most travel stores and discount retail stores.


Students who regularly take specific prescription medication should bring a supply to last the entire time abroad; medications cannot be shipped overseas. However, most prescriptions can be filled in Germany when you see a doctor.

If you bring medication, carry it in original containers that clearly display the name of the patient, doctor and the medication. Carry copies of the prescription to avoid problems with customs and in the event that you need to fill your prescription abroad. It may be helpful to have a letter from the prescribing physician or pharmacist describing the medicine, dosage, generic name and description of the condition being treated. The letter could be helpful in an emergency.

For students who prefer certain brands of over-the-counter medicines for common ailments, it may be wise to bring them from home. While there are pharmacies in Germany that carry quality over-the-counter products, specific brands may not be available