You would like to earn a Bachelor, Staatsexamen or Master degree at the University of Tübingen and intend to submit an application?
First of all make sure you check all requirements for the study program you intend to apply for in our overview of courses available.
Please be aware that in some countries it will take up to 12 months to receive an appointment for a visa application. Thus, we suggest to apply for your visa appointment immediately after you have received your admission. In case you should not be able to enroll, you can still cancel the appointment.
The University of Tübingen will check the validity of your certificates and convert your grades into the German grading system.
At the information portal anabin (German only) and the DAAD database on admission requirements (English/German) you can check yourself whether your qualifications meet requirements. If in doubt, please contact the application officers. Final authority of approval rests with the University.
International students have to apply via our application portals.
Please refer to our Guide to Application to find out which application portal you should use.
You can apply for up to three study courses simultaneously.
Application deadlines for Non-EU citizens for all Bachelor and Staatsexamen study courses, as well as for EU citizens for study courses with restricted admission:
- for the winter semester (starting in October) July 15th
- for the summer semester (starting in April) January 15th
Application deadlines for EU-citizens for all other study courses:
- for the winter semester (starting in October) September 30th
- for the summer semester (starting in April) March 31st
All deviating deadlines for Master study courses are listed here.
For Ukrainian citizens:
Bachelor applications: Please apply directly at alma.uni-tuebingen.de
Master applications and counseling: email@example.com;
General Student Counseling: firstname.lastname@example.org
While applying online for Bachelor and Staatsexamen study courses you have to upload:
- Your school leaving certificate or "Hochschulzugangsberechtigung" (HZB), i.e. your secondary school certificate. Also helpful might be (if available) a transcript of records or a degree certificate of any former studies and the results of a university entrance exam of your home country.
- Proof of the required German and/or English language skills. A list of the accepted certificates of German is given here. / The study courses taught in English require a whole variety of language certificates. You have to check the homepage of the study course for detailed information.
Exception: EU-citizens with secondary school certificates not acquired in Germany and applying for the first semester of Medicine, Dentistry or Pharmacy have to check at the application portal Hochschulstart how to proceed.
Non-EU citizens applying for study courses with restricted admission (Bachelor, Staatsexamen) can enhance the results of their school leaving certificates by one or more of the following achievements:
1. Above-average command of German: 0.5 or 1.0 of the German grading scale.
2. Above-average TestAs results: from 0.1 up to 1.0 of the German grading scale.
3. Job training or professional activity of at least 1 year (accumulation possible), and closely related to the course of study: up to 0.2 of the German grading system.
4. Other professional experience (e.g. internship, other study course) of at least 1 year (accumulation possible), and closely related to the course of study: up to 0.2. of the German grading system.
For more details please see the Satzung zur Zulassung ausländischer Studienbewerber*innen.
To apply for a Master study course you have to hand in the following documents:
- Bachelor certificate, including transcript of records. If you have not received you BA certificate yet, the latest transcript of records can be accepted instead. In this case your BA certificate plus your final transcript have to be handed in until the end of the first semester.
- For study courses with restricted admission: Your school leaving certificate or "Hochschulzugangsberechtigung" (HZB), i.e. your secondary school certificate. A transcript of records or a degree certificate of your former studies and, if available, the results of a university entrance exam of your home country.
- Proof of the required German and/or English language skills; please check the homepage of the study course for detailed information.
- Further documents like a letter of motivation or CV might be asked for. Please check at the homepage of your chosen study course.
Important information for all study courses:
You can only hand in documents written in German or English. Documents in all other languages have to be accompanied by a translation into German or English by a sworn-in translator. Please always load up both - your original documents and their translations.
Some faculties may ask for additional documents. Please always also check the homepage of your chosen study course or with the application officers or Studienfachberater*innen in charge. You can stop your online application midway, find the document you are being asked for, and take up your application again at a later date.