Frequently asked questions of international applicants (FAQ)

Application Process

1. What can I study in Tübingen?

2. Where do I find study programs taught in English?

3. Where do I apply for which subjects?

4. Where do I send my application?

Master and Bachelor students apply online only. Please do not send us any documents by post or via e-mail.

Staatsexamen (medicine, dentistry, pharmacy): Please send only the sheet containing your signature as a pdf to this e-mail adress: studyspam prevention@uni-tuebingen.de  Your application, including the e-mail with the signed pdf, must have reached us by the closing date.

5. When are the deadlines for applications?

The closing date for many study programs is

For deviant closing dates of study programs see the list of deviant application dates.

6. Where can I find out whether my certificates entitle me to study in Germany?

See the Anabin database provided by the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs (KMK).

7. Do I have to hand in certified copies of my documents?

Please upload originals or certified copies of your documents (including translations if necessary). You will also have to present these documents upon immatriculation. 

EU-citizens can also send certified copies by post to:

Dez. IV Studierende
Beratung und Zulassung Internationaler Studierender
Nauklerstr. 2
72074 Tübingen

8. Do I have to apply via Uni-Assist?

No. Apply directly to the University of Tübingen: Application and Admission of International Students

9. Do I have to send in notarized copies?

No. Please send normal photocopies.

10. Who will convert my grades into the German grading scheme?

We do that. Please cite your grades exactly as they are listed in your certificates.

11. How much money do I have to prove I have - so that I will be able to study in Germany?

Please enquire at the responsible aliens office (Ausländerbehörde), consulate or embassy.

12. Can I hand in documents (e.g., the language certificate) after the application deadline?

No. You must submit your complete application, with all documents, to reach us by the closing date.


Language competence

15. Can I start studying and hand in my German language certificate later?

No. You must submit your certificate of German language competence as part of your application by the closing date.

16. In my Test-DaF certificate, can I average out the grades 3 and 5?


18. Can I be admitted on a provisional basis without German language competence, or enroll to learn German?


Organizational and financial matters

19. What is the cost of studies?

Each semester you will have to pay an administrative fee of 158.30 Euros: https://uni-tuebingen.de/en/study/organizing-your-studies/fees/administration-fee/

A tuition fee of 1,500.00 Euros will have to be paid by all Non-EU-students. https://uni-tuebingen.de/en/study/organizing-your-studies/fees/tuition-fees/
Find information about tuition fee exemptions under: https://uni-tuebingen.de/en/study/organizing-your-studies/fees/tuition-fees/tuition-fees-for-international-students/ 

20. How do I apply for a scholarship?

See the scholarship database provided by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).

21. How do I find a place to live?

See the information on halls of residence provided by the Studierendenwerk Tübingen-Hohenheim.

22. How do I get German health insurance?

See the information on organising health insurance provided by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).

Studying Medicine, Dentistry or Pharmacy

23. Which criteria are taken into account for an admission to medicine, dentistry or pharmacy?

Starting with the winter semester 2020/21 in all probability statutes will be amended. Your average grade can then be improved by

– command of German
– TestAS certificate
– proof of vocational training / professional activity (exeeding one year) and/or internship / course of study in the medical field.

Please upload the relevant documents when applying online.


24. Is there a numerus clausus (NC)?