In the Orientation Week prior to the official beginning of term, numerous welcome events and information / orientation meetings take place around the University.
The “Orientation Week” brochure provides information on the introductory events (help desk, advisory course, official welcome), general information (student initiatives), general orientation as well as orientation events at the various departments. Her you can find the current Orientation Weeks brochure shortly before the semester.
- 400€ damage deposit, your rent contract and some cash for the first couple of days
- Your national ID-card or Passport which needs to be valid for the whole duration of your stay
- If necessary a student visa
- For health insurance exemption the EHIC-card or your international health insurance contract
- Login and password for the Alma-Portal
- If you have studied in Germany before: Certificate of Enrollment Termination
- Studierendenwerk Dormitory Office, Fichtenweg 5, 72076 Tübingen (You receive the damage deposit slip and an appointment with the janitor)
- Janitor (You receive the keys to your room and the „Wohnungsgeberbestätigung“ for city registration at the Bürgeramt)
- Registration at the International Office, Nauklerstrasse 2, room 8, 72074 Tübingen (You receive your admission letter, a city map, and help with registration forms for matriculation)
- Gesetzliche Krankenkasse (You receive a health insurance certificate or an exemption certificate)
- Universitätskasse or bank (You pay 88,30 Euro semester contribution - not waivable social fee)
- Matriculation at the Studierendensekretariat, Wilhelmstrasse 11, 72074 Tübingen
- Registration with the city at the Bürgeramt, Schmiedtorstrasse 4, 72070 Tübingen (You will need the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung from the janitor for city registration)
As exchange student you are enrolled at the University of Tübingen for a limited number of semesters. Enrollment makes you a student member of the university (access to wifi, access to campus-portal, student ID-card).
For the online enrollment in the enrollment portal ALMA you will need a code which will be distributed in due time. Please do not start an online enrollment before you receive the code for exchange students!
More information about online enrollment
If you have questions or encounter problems in the process of enrollment, please contact the Studierendensekretariat.
If you are admitted for two semesters, it is easy to re-enroll. You only need to pay the semester contribution (88,30 Euro) within the re-enrollment period. You need to state your matriculation number on the payment form or bank transfer. After successful re-enrollment the “Leporello” (enrollment certificate) can be downloaded from the ALMA portal.
Re-enrollment period is:
- June 1 to August 8 for winter term
- January 15 to February 15 for summer term
Prior to the beginning of the new term, you will be able to extend the validity of your student ID card at the terminal in the entrance area of Wilhelmstrasse 11.
If you have questions or encounter problems in the process of re-enrollment, please contact the Studierendensekretariat.
The regular university courses are listed in the ALMA portal. Before you are enrolled at the university you cannot sign up for courses as you need a login and password created by the portal during the enrollment process. However you are able to view courses if you select “Öffentliches Vorlesungsverzeichnis (no login necessary as it is public/öffentlich). This way you can already get information on the courses and prepare a schedule.
You only register for some of the courses (usually those who are limited in the number of participants). For others you need to register directly with the professor or you only need to register for the exam. The information should be provided in the course details in the campus system.
Here you get to the ALMA portal
General course information:
- Lecture (Vorlesung) – not limited in number of participants. Requirements: regular attendance, oral or written exam. Average of 3-4 ECTS. You register for this course with the lecturer at the first session.
- Seminar (Proseminar/Hauptseminar) – limited in the number of participants. Requirements: regular attendance, participation in class discussions, class presentation, exam and/or term paper. Average of 6 ECTS for a Proseminar and 6-8 ECTS for an (advanced!) Hauptseminar. Registration through campus-portal unless campus-portal states a different procedure.
- Exercise (Übung) – limited in the number of participants. Requirements: regular attendance, weekly exams and practical exercises, final exam. Average of 3-4 ECTS. Registration through campus-portal unless campus-portal states a different procedure.
ECTS, LP (Leistungspunkte) or CP (Credit Points) are basically the same. They are related to the workload of a course. Generally speaking 1 ECTS credit point requires 30 hours of participation or preparation.
If the information on the syllabus and ECTS is not available in the campus portal, you need to find out for which module this course can be used. The module handbook will then give you a general idea about the things you learn in this class and the information about the ECTS. Module Handbooks (MHB) are usually on the faculty website. For instance Humanities
Course registration at our department for German as a foreign language is during the first week of term during a personal appointment at Wilhelmstrasse 22, room 201. Please visit them shortly after your arrival to schedule this personal appointment.
Apart from pure language training, they have a variety of courses in literature, history, and politics and intercultural communication especially for international students.
They only offer one course for beginners (A1) and the places are limited. Beginners are welcome to learn German at one of the private language institutes in Tübingen.
In addition to the pre-semester language and orientation intensive courses, you can select up to 3 courses (average of 4 ECTS per course)
For more information click here.
The Foreign Language Center offers foreign language courses in a variety of foreign languages starting from beginner´s level to internationally recognized certificates as part of students´ individual schedule, career qualification or as preparation to go abroad.
To sign up for these courses you need to take a language ability test as soon as you are enrolled (you need your matriculation number for the test).
For more information please visit their homepage.
If you major in a foreign language (other than German) you would select courses at the Faculty of Humanities.
At the faculties you can direct academic questions to the departmental coordinators. These coordinators also sign the “During the Mobility” or “Changes to the Learning Agreement” forms for European ERASMUS-students. Please get in touch with your faculty to find out who is the responsible person.
The University of Tübingen offers a number of different services which give helpful advice to those planning to study in Tübingen as well as those already enrolled here - whether they are just beginning, are well into their studies, or are finishing their studies and planning a career.
For more information see Advising services.