Visa, Residence Permit, Working in Germany

On this page we provide information about special visa and residence permits as well as work permits for international researchers.

Research visa

By introducing the Research visa (§ 20), a new residence title specifically for researchers was introduced. This means it is now possible to state "researcher" as a purpose of stay in the visa application form. Therefore researchers are given certain rights as to residence, teaching at higher education institutions, equal treatment in recognition of diplomas, working conditions, social security, taxation, etc.

The Research visa facilitates the admission of researchers coming from non-European countries (third-country nationals) at European universities. As soon as the university has concluded a hosting agreement with the researcher, they can apply for a visa or residence permit in Germany with the residence title “researcher” under § 20 of the residence act.

The University of Tuebingen is recognized as a research facility by the Federal Office of Migration and Refugees. This means that the University is able to provide hosting agreements with international researchers. Please note that Research visa are generally processed faster and that they provide advantages for family members.

With a Research visa you are allowed to work within a special research field and teach at Tuebingen University. In order to obtain this visa, you will need a hosting agreement from the University of Tuebingen. On presentation of the hosting agreement, you can apply for the Research visa at your German embassy, or you can apply for a residence permit for researchers at the local immigration office.

Hosting Agreement

The Welcome Center of Tuebingen University will be glad to sign a hosting agreement with you. Please contact us to check if the visa for researchers is an option for you.

Doing a Ph.D. and work permit

Are you doing your Ph.D. at the University of Tübingen?

If you have a residence permit for the purpose of study (according to §16 Residence Act) you are allowed to work 120 days or 240 half days per year. This working permit is valid outside of the University as well.

Have you finished your Ph.D. and are now looking for work?

After finishing your Ph.D your residence permit can be extended for up to 18 months in order to look for an appropriate job, if you can provide your own means of finance for your stay.

Please contact us if you have further questions.

Tuebingen Research Campus

General information on this topic are jointly provided by the Welcome Centers of the University of Tuebingen, its Faculty of Medicine and the Max Planck Institutes on the pages “Immigration Procedures” und “Work and Taxes” of Tübingen Research Campus.

The Welcome Center continues to support you personally before and during your stay at the University of Tuebingen or the University Hospital.