Visa, Residence Permit, Working in Germany

On this page we provide information about special visa and residence permits as well as work permits for international researchers.

Important information: Since 01.03.2020 the new law on the immigration of skilled workers has come into force. This results in changes in the names of the paragraphs of the various visas and residence permits.

Research visa

The Research visa (§ 18d) is a residence title specifically for researchers. Therefore researchers are given certain rights as to residence, teaching at higher education institutions, equal treatment in recognition of diplomas, working conditions, social security, taxation, etc.

The Research visa facilitates the admission of researchers coming from non-European countries (third-country nationals) at European universities. As soon as the university has concluded a hosting agreement with the researcher, they can apply for a visa or residence permit in Germany with the residence title “researcher” under § 18d of the residence act.

The University of Tuebingen is recognized as a research facility by the Federal Office of Migration and Refugees. This means that the University is able to provide hosting agreements with international researchers. Please note that Research visa are generally processed faster and that they provide advantages for family members.

With a Research visa you are allowed to work within a special research field and teach at Tuebingen University. In order to obtain this visa, you will need a hosting agreement from the University of Tuebingen. On presentation of the hosting agreement, you can apply for the Research visa at your German embassy, or you can apply for a residence permit for researchers at the local immigration office.

Hosting Agreement

The Welcome Center of Tuebingen University will be glad to sign a hosting agreement with you. Please contact us to check if the visa for researchers is an option for you.

Doing a Ph.D. and work permit

Are you doing your Ph.D. at the University of Tübingen?

If you have a residence permit for the purpose of study (according to §16b Residence Act) you are allowed to work 120 days or 240 half days per year. This working permit is valid outside of the University as well.

Have you finished your Ph.D. and are now looking for work?

After finishing your Ph.D your residence permit can be extended for up to 18 months in order to look for an appropriate job, if you can provide your own means of finance for your stay.

Please contact us if you have further questions.

Understanding your pay slip

Confused about what all the words and numbers in your pay slip mean? Please see the document "Your Remuneration Statement Explained" for a detailed explanation of each item. 

Tuebingen Research Campus

More information can be found on the website of the Tübingen Research Campus.