My research interests include Eye Tracking methodologies specifically eye movement patterns and scanpath analysis in the realm of expert and novice differences. Currently, I am researching dentistry students and how they visually explore radiographs. Looking into the developmental stages of gaze behavior, I can aim to develop predictive models that can be used in learning interventions. These interventions foster more systematic search behavior by receiving online gaze feedback and then guiding the student’s eye movements based on the model.
Being in the LEAD network, I can receive critical feedback regarding effective mechanisms for this learning intervention from academics who have more experience in various fields of education research. LEAD is also known for its caliber regarding empirical education research and its cooperation among many faculties and these qualities can foster the research in my PhD.
Associated PhD candidate
LEAD Graduate School & Research Network
Center for Integrative Neuroscience (CIN), University of Tübingen
M.Sc. Cognitive Science
University of Tübingen
Mental Health Counselor/Operative
Earth House Residential Psychiatric Treatment Facility (Millstone, New Jersey, USA)
B.Sc. Psychology & German
Lycoming College (Williamsport, Pennsylvania, USA)
- Castner, N., Kübler, T. C., Richter, J., Eder, T., Huettig, F., Keutel, C. & Kasneci, E. (2020). Deep semantic gaze embedding and scanpath comparison for expertise classification during OPT viewing. Eye Tracking Research and Applications. ACM 2020.
- Geisler, D., Weber, D., Castner, N., & Kasneci, E. (2020). Exploiting the GBVS for Saliency aware Gaze Heatmaps. Eye Tracking Research and Applications. ACM 2020.
- Geisler, D., Castner, N., Kasneci, G. & Kasneci, E. (2020). A MinHash approach for fast scanpath classification. Eye Tracking Research and Applications. ACM, 2020.
- Castner, N., Appel, T., Eder, T., Richter, J., Scheiter, K., Keutel, C., Hüttig, F., Duchowski, A. & Kasneci, E. (2020). Pupil diameter differentiates expertise in dental radiography visual search. PLOS ONE 15(5), 1-19.
- Fuhl, W., Bozkir, E., Hosp, B., Castner, N., Geisler, Thiago, C. & Kasneci, E. (2019). Encodji: Encoding Gaze Data Into Emoji Space for an Amusing Scanpath Classification Approach. Eye Tracking Research and Applications.
- Fuhl, W., Castner, N., Kübler, T. C., Lotz, A., Rosenstiel, W. &.Kasneci, E. (2019). Ferns for area of interest free scanpath classification. Proceedings of the 2019 ACM Symposium on Eye Tracking Research & Applications (ETRA).
- Castner, N., Klepper, S., Kopnarski, L., Hüttig, F., Keutel, C., Scheiter, K., Richter, J., Eder, T. & Kasneci, E. (2018). Overlooking: The nature of gaze behavior and anomaly detection in expert dentists. Workshop on Modeling Cognitive Processes from Multimodal Data (MCPMD’18 ).
- Otto, K., Castner, N., Geisler, D. & Kasneci, E. (2018). Development and Evaluation of a Gaze Feedback System Integrated into EyeTrace. Proceedings of the 2018 ACM Symposium on Eye Tracking Research & Applications (ETRA).
- Castner, N., Kasneci, E., Kübler, T. C., Scheiter, K.. & Richter, J. (2018). Scanpath comparison in medical image reading skills of dental students. Proceedings of the 2018 ACM Symposium on Eye Tracking Research & Applications (ETRA).
- Fuhl, W., Castner, N., Zhuang, L., Rosenstiel, W. & Kasneci, E. (2018). MAM: Transfer learning for fully automatic video annotation and specialized detector creation. International Conference on Computer Vision Workshops, ICCVW.
- Fuhl, W., Castner, N. & Kasneci, E. (2018). Rule based learning for eye movement type detection. International Conference on Multimodal Interaction Workshops, ICMIW.
- Fuhl, W., Castner, N. & Kasneci, E. (2018). Histogram of oriented velocities for eye movement detection. International Conference on Multimodal Interaction Workshops, ICMIW.
- Fuhl, W., Santini, T., Kuebler, T., Castner, N., Rosenstiel W. & Kasneci, E. (2018). Eye movement simulation and detector creation to reduce laborious parameter adjustments. In arXiv preprint arXiv:1804.00970, 2018.
- Hasegawa, M., Majima, K., Itokazu, T., Maki, T., Albrecht, U. R., Castner, N., Izumo, M., Sohya, K., Sato, T., Kamitani, Y. et al. (2017). Selective suppression of local circuits during movement preparation in the mouse motor cortex. Cell reports 18(11), 2676–2686.
- Castner, N., Eivazi, S., Scheiter K. & and Kasneci, E. (2017). Using Eye Tracking to Evaluate and Develop Innovative Teaching Strategies for Fostering Image Reading Skills of Novices in Medical Training. Eye Tracking Enhanced Learning (ETEL2017).