Research data management is an increasingly important issue for universities. Major third-party funding organizations expect a practicable data management plan setting out how a project will describe and structure its research data and how the data will be stored and made accessible in a sustainable way. Good data management makes it possible for other researchers to continue using data from individual projects. The University of Tübingen provides various services in this area - both interdisciplinary and for specific disciplines.
The research data archive FDAT offers services and technical infrastructure for the long-term archiving and re-use of research data.
- Target group: open to all disciplines with a particular focus on the humanities and social sciences
- Consultation before the project starts, e.g. to prepare a data management plan and data processing
CLARIN-D is the German branch of the European research infrastructure initiative "Common Language Resources and Technology Infrastructure" (CLARIN) for research in the humanities and social sciences that is language-based. CLARIN is an established network of experts and offers services tailored to the management and processing of language-based data.
- Special services:
- Data management plan design tool
- Reference data sets, e.g. Deutsches Textarchiv (DTA), Deutsches Referenzkorpus (DeReKo), GermaNet, Digitales Wörterbuch der deutschen Sprache (DWDS), Deutsche Parlamentsdebatten (GermaParl)
- Many web-based analysis tools for language-based data
- Contact: Dr. Thorsten Trippel, thorsten.trippel, +49 7071 29-77352 @uni-tuebingen.de
- Further Information on the Department of Linguistics website
- Direct link to the CLARIN-D Portal
Center for Quantiative Biology (QBiC)
QBiC is a central institution for bioinformatics and omics technologies. It offers special expertise in processing high-throughput data sets in the life sciences. QBiC services cover the full research data cycle from project design, to data gathering and analysis, to data storage.
University of Tübingen researchers have obtained third-party funding for various projects aimed at improving research data management infrastructure. They include:
The CAMPOS collaborative research center in the Geo- and Environmental Sciences conducts research into pollutants. The CAMPOS infrastructure project includes the development of a platform for research data management which allows members of the CRC can enter, edit and exchange their data. Another goal is to develop uniform standards for metadata, via which relevant data can be pinpointed and used. In addition, the data are to be incorporated into the FDAT research data archive for long-term storage. In the long term, the infrastructure developed in CAMPOS could serve as a prototype for similar projects in the geosciences, environmental sciences and other disciplines.
- Contact: Albrecht Baur, albrecht.baur, +49 7071 29-70302 @uni-tuebingen.de
- Further informationen: Data management in the CAMPOS collaborative research center
Current and concluded projects:
- Bioinformatics Data Environment – BioDATEN (from July 2019)
Contact: Professor Dr. Thomas Walter, IT Center (ZDV), +49 7071 29-70201
- Storage for Science – bwSFS (from 2018)
Contact: Dr. Ulrich Hahn, IT Center (ZDV), +49 7071 29-70253
- Open Data Research Portal – ORDP (2016-2018)
- bwFDM-Info (2015-2017)
- bwFDM Communities (2014-2015)