Corona virus: Information for employees

Detailed information on work organization can be found in the University's hygiene concept (German only).

Organizing your work

Regulations for working from home

Wherever possible, i.e., where the tasks permit it, superiors are called upon to allow employees to work from home. Due to the current special circumstances, working from home may be agreed bilaterally with your superior and does not require the approval of Human Resources until further notice. This approval by the superior may be revoked at any time.

Furthermore, employees working from home must be contactable. Employees are to document the hours they have worked in an appropriate format (see section "Recording your working hours when you work from home") for their superior. In order to maintain the University’s basic functionality, a degree of on-site presence is nevertheless required. This applies in particular to infrastructure such as the administration, animal care, IT services, as well as the Deans’ Offices and the management of central academic institutions and all further offices needed for their operation. The managers of these areas are called upon to take appropriate measures to ensure the safe operation of their departments.

Setting up remote access from home

  • In order to access the university network from home and work from there, you must set up a remote access (VPN) at home. Instructions of the computing center (ZDV) can be found here: https://uni-tuebingen.de/de/2178 . The setup is supported for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, MacOS, iOS, Ubuntu "eoan" and Android. Note: Remote access does not work from the network of the hospital (UKT)!
  • The computing center (ZDV) has summarized all important information about working from home on its website: https://uni-tuebingen.de/de/174348 
  • Darüber hinaus hat das ZDV im Rahmen der Corona-Schutzmaßnahmen eine Sonderseite zur Arbeit für Beschäftigte der Zentralen Verwaltung an privaten Rechnern eingerichtet: https://uni-tuebingen.de/de/66849 
  • In addition, the computing center (ZDV) has set up a special page on working from a private computer for the employees in central administration: https://uni-tuebingen.de/de/66849 
  • Please note: Call forwarding from the office telephone to your telephone at home is not possible – the capacities for this are exhausted.

Recording your working hours when you work from home

If you participate in electronic time recording:
Employees who work from home and can access the university network via VPN access are currently allowed to make inbound and outbound bookings directly via the web-based Intrakey Workflow at the integrated "terminal" until 30 June 2020. In order to do so, first click on the "Kommen” (clock-in) or “Gehen” (clock-out) field in the “Terminal” menu item and then click on the antenna symbol on the upper right.

For those employees for whom the terminal function has not yet been activated, the time recording officers will see to the activation. Until then, working hours should be fully recorded and submitted via a correction request (Korrekturantrag) in the electronic time recording system: https://zes002.zes-srv.zes.uni-tuebingen.de:8081/ 

If you do not participate in electronic time recording:
For all those employees who do not participate in the electronic time recording system yet, there is a correction request in the download area of the human resources department under the keyword "Zeiterfassung” (time recording). This must be submitted to the superior:https://uni-tuebingen.de/de/136909 (Intranet)

Safety distance of 2 meters - Regulations for offices with two or more people

If possible with regard to work organization, at present, a workplace should not be used by more than one employee. If this is not possible, e.g. in the case of work in shifts or in a rotating system or in cars, commercial vehicles or control stands, the surfaces of jointly used workplaces are to be cleaned with standard household cleaners after use by the employees (to be obtained from Division VII, Purchasing). In particular, this includes surfaces with which employees have come into contact (droplets from speaking), e.g. tabletop, desk chair and armrests, cupboard and door handles, IT equipment such as mouse and keyboard, telephone receivers, steering wheels, gear levers and frequently used tools and equipment.

Members of the university must keep a sufficient distance (at least 2 m) from other people. Where this is not possible through measures of work organization, alternative protective measures must be taken by superiors (e.g. different workplace, aerosol protection barriers).

  • Mouth and nose protection is provided to employees if it is necessary to keep below the minimum distance for exceptional reasons of work. The facilities may order protection from Division VII, Purchasing, using the form „Artikelbedarfsanforderung“ (article requirement request). 
  • In office rooms, an aerosol protection barrier (e.g. a Plexiglas pane) should be installed at opposite workplaces if the minimum distance cannot be maintained. It is the superior’s responsibility to take care of this. It is recommended to wear a mouth-nose cover on a voluntary basis.

In facilities with frequent public contact, especially if the minimum distances cannot be maintained, partitions (aerosol protection barriers) must be installed.

Note for superiors: For office workplaces, the room capacities of the facilities must be fully used and work must be organized in such a way that occupancy of rooms by more than one employee can be avoided or sufficient protective distance is provided.

Rooms must be aired regularly (as far as possible):

  • Individual offices must be aired at least every 60 minutes.
  • Rooms used by several persons and common rooms must be thoroughly aired at least every 20 minutes or should have a continuous flow of air.
  • In buildings and rooms with ventilation, building management controls the ventilation systems to ensure that a maximum of fresh air is supplied.

For further information please refer to the University's hygiene concept (German only).

Flexible working hours: Fixed date for cutting off overtime is postponed to 30 June

For employees with flexible working hours: The fixed date for cutting off overtime exceeding the individual working week is postponed from 31 March to 30 June this year.

Planning your vacation - make use of planned vacation and flexitime days

University managaments asks that you make use of the vacation days and flexitime days available to you. Many employees are currently facing demands at work which are far greater than usual. Due to our current reduced operation in academia and the central institutions, others have far less or even nothing to do. Right now it is extremely important for all members of the University to preserve both their health and ability to work. For that, rest and relaxation are essential.

Organizationally, we must avoid a situation in which – once travel restrictions have been lifted and university teaching can resume – that many employees then wish to take holidays. University management therefore requests that all employees plan the use of their vacation days for the rest of the year and coordinate them with their superior. Please note that left-over vacation days from 2019 must be used up by 30 September 2020. Employees in areas with flexitime need to ensure that they have used up overtime by 30 June 2020.

Shutdown of institutions - Continued payment of wages

I would like to point out that the shutdown of individual university facilities, too, may be ordered exclusively by the university management or the Baden-Württemberg state government. Should there be an instruction for a partial shutdown of individual institutions or for the shutdown of the University as a whole, the civil servants and those employed under collective wage agreements will be released from work without any loss of income.

Balancing work and family life: care for children and other family members

Schools and childcare facilities are only open with restrictions. The parents concerned still have the options of working from home, reducing overtime, taking leave or applying for unpaid special leave if childcare cannot be organized in any other way. Those employed under collective wage agreements who suffer a loss of income as a result have a statutory right to compensation on the basis of the Infection Protection Act or, in the case of care for relatives, may be entitled to a care support allowance. For details, please consult the staff of the personnel department or the nursing care insurance fund (Pflegekasse).

The Management of the University of Tübingen has launched a "Corona Emergency Family Programme" to support families at the University. For detailed information, see the website of the Family Office at https://uni-tuebingen.de/de/176988.

Due to the special burdens resulting from the corona crisis, employees with children and relatives in need of care were allowed to take time off work while retaining their regular pay and benefits. According to a new decree issued by the Baden-Württemberg state government, this regulation expired on 29 May and will in future only be applied in cases of particular hardship.


For information on on-site events, practical lab courses, examinations and field trips, please refer to the University's hygiene concept (German only).

Information on online teaching can be found on our "digital teaching" website.

Public contacts, meetings, events and trips

Avoid meetings in person - Make use of conference calls

Please hold meetings by telephone if possible. Our telephone system allows conference calls with up to six participants. Colleagues working from home or other external parties can also join. For instruction, please see the tba website https://www.tba-ukt.de/wp-content/uploads/Anleitung-Telefonkonferenz-mit-TK-Anlage.pdf. The computer center (ZDV) has also put together a range of other technical aids to help you cope with your daily work, but also with the foreseeable challenges in academic teaching. You can find all important information on this subject here: www.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de/corona

If a meeting urgently requires the personal presence of the participants, please ensure that it is as short as possible and that a minimum distance of two meters is maintained between the participants. Meetings of more than 20 persons are prohibited.

All counselling and service facilities at the University must – if they have not already done so – change their offers to telephone and online service. In individual cases, justified exceptions may be allowed.

Events and meetings

According to the University's hygiene concept (cf. D.5), meetings of up to 20 people are permitted without prior approval procedure, provided that the requirements of the hygiene concept are met. This applies to on-campus meetings such as briefings and conferences or committee meetings, but not to lectures/classes.

As for lectures and courses, it still applies that classroom instruction is suspended until 30 September 2020, apart from justified exceptional cases. Exceptions must still be approved individually by the president’s office or authorised offices of the faculties. For approval, strict conditions will be imposed with regard to infection control. Further information can be found in the University's hygiene concept, Part E. ff.

Conferences  and other public events with external guests with more than 20 participants should not take place until at least September 30, 2020, unless you have obtained a special permit by the president’s office to hold such an event.

I have to cancel an event. Who is liable for the costs?
In the case of events held by a University institution, you can submit an application for reimbursement to the finance division. Applications will be examined on a case-by-case basis. The application form can be requested by sending an email to finanzenspam prevention@zv.uni-tuebingen.de.

Surgical masks and aerosol protection barriers

Surgical masks

The University has obtained basic face masks for employees who come in contact with many people as part of their work. The superiors of employees thus affected are asked to carry out an assessment of the overall situation in the workplace before ordering masks. Further information can be found at https://uni-tuebingen.de/de/176862

Aerosol protection barriers

The central wood workshop offers support in the current situation. Facilities of the university with frequent public contact, such as advisory services, information or dispatch counters, can order aerosol protection barriers ("spit protection") from the wood workshop.

The standard model consists of two wooden stands with a depth of 30 cm and a plexiglas panel with a total height of approx. 70 cm and widths of 75, 100 or 150 cm. Individual sizes are also possible. Delivery time is about two weeks from the time of order. 

You can download the respective order form by the link below. Please fill out the form completely and send it by in-house mail or as a scan by e-mail to the central wood workshop. 

Workshop order for the central wood workshop - Download

Central wood workshop
Andreas Lang (master carpenter)
andreas.langspam prevention@uni-tuebingen.de  
Auf der Morgenstelle 8, 72076 Tübingen
 Phone 07071-29 73002 (office, A building)
 Phone 07071-29 76185 (workshop)


Employees in higher-risk categories

The following measures have been put in place for all employees at the University of Tübingen:

  1. Opening hours and consultation hours at University offices have been suspended except for specially approved individual cases 
  2. No person may enter University buildings who:
    a. has or has had contact with an infected person currently or within the last 14 days.
    b. has symptoms of a respiratory infection or a temperature
  3. Employees should work at home wherever possible. 
  4. For work which can only be carried out on site: Maintain a safe distance of at least two meters from your colleagues (may include organizational measures such as shift work) 

These measures have been put in place across the University so that the workplace does not present any increased risk of infection. This is also valid for persons who are at a higher risk of complications in case of a COVID-19 infection. With regard to work organization, the respective superiors should make it possible for these persons to have an individual office at their disposal, if necessary by switching rooms between colleagues. If this is not possible, they should work in an office which allows a minimum distance of two meters to be maintained to the colleague in the same room.

If you need advice on your particular situation, please phone the University Medical Service, +49 7071 29-87092, for individual advice regarding your work and any possible arrangements which can be made regarding your workplace. Sick leave - documented by a doctor’s certificate - remains unaffected.

The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Allgemeinmedizin und Familienmedizin (DEGAM) has issued current guidelines for the assessment of at-risk categories (updated: 27.03.2020). These guidelines state that the following conditions signify the greatest risk of complications in the case of a COVID-19 infection:

  1. Cardiovascular diseases (including high blood pressure)
  2. Diabetes mellitus
  3. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease/ smoking
  4. Immunosuppression

 According to the data we have, age alone (without pre-existing conditions) is a moderate risk factor from approximately 60 years of age.

Pregnant employees

According to the current state of knowledge, pregnant women do not in principle have a higher risk than the general population of becoming infected with the new type of corona virus, or of a more severe course in case of infection. The general measures implemented at the University (ban on entry, working from home wherever possible, distance regulations etc.) reduce the risk of infection. If public access is permitted in individual areas in future, the risk assessment must be updated in accordance with the maternity protection act (Mutterschutzgesetz) before this change in the working conditions of pregnant women is made. For this purpose, pregnant women and their superiors should contact the University Medical Service to obtain advice on a possible ban on employment. Breastfeeding women are not affected by this.

If an employee in the working environment of a pregnant woman is tested positive for the new kind of corona virus, the employer must issue an employment ban for the pregnant woman until the 14th day after the case of illness has occurred. Currently (as of 16 April 2020), this constellation is possible at the university if, for example, several persons work in the same room while observing the distance regulations (including shift work) and one of these persons becomes infected.

For pregnant women in the working environment of a person suspected to have an infection, an employment ban is to be issued for the duration of the diagnostic assessment. If the suspicion of infection is not confirmed, the pregnant woman may continue to be employed.

The University Medical Service and the Section for Work Safety in the University administration are in close cooperation with the responsible regional authorities in Tübingen (Regierungspräsidium) in order to be able to adjust the protective measures for pregnant women in the event of future changes in the general conditions (e.g. relaxation of the ban on contact for the general population).

If a member of your household becomes infected with Covid-19 or is suspected of being infected

If a member of your household becomes infected with Covid-19 or is suspected of being infected and a doctor considers that there is a danger of spreading infection, you must stay away from work until a doctor judges that you are no longer in danger of spreading the virus.
You must provide a doctor’s certificate accordingly. Please send it by post, or via scan attachment in an email to: personalspam prevention@uni-tuebingen.de
If the nature of your work allows it, you are to make use of the option to work from home. Otherwise you will be released from work duties on special leave.

Furthermore: If your child gets sick and you have state-sponsored health insurance, one of the parents has the right to ten days of time off work and may receive paid sick leave (Kinderkrankengeld) for that time. If you have private insurance, under collective-bargaining agreements, you have the right to four days paid leave in this situation. For this, you must send a doctor’s certificate to Human Resources. Please send it by post, or via scan attachment in an email to: personalspam prevention@uni-tuebingen.de.

Further medical information

If you are an official suspected case of infection

Persons officially suspected of having Covid-19 are usually placed in quarantine for 14 days by the health authorities. Employees affected by this form of quarantine should inform their superior as soon as possible. Affected employees will be released from work duties and receive their regular pay and benefits.

Further medical information

If you have a corona infection

Employees who test positive for Covid-19 are considered sick even if they exhibit no symptoms. Affected persons must provide a doctor’s certificate. Please send it by post, or via scan attachment in an email to: personalspam prevention@uni-tuebingen.de.

Further medical information

Disinfection of the workplace in case of illness

If an employee is sent home with symptoms of illness such as cough, cold or fever, the University Medical Service recommends immediate surface disinfection of the workplace of the person affected. For reasons of prevention, these measures should also be applied to workplaces where the person concerned has been regularly present up to 48 hours before the start of the illness.

In view of the current rapid increase in the number of cases, it can sometimes take a long time before it is clear whether a person is infected with corona viruses. Not all affected people are tested. For reasons of care, surface disinfection is therefore urgently required. The respective superiors are requested to contact us by e-mail at reinigung@zv.uni-tuebingen.de so that appropriate measures can be taken.

Fit while working from home

The Institute of Sports Science of the University and the Department of Sports Medicine of the University Hospital have developed a video training program with small exercise units to do at home.

The Occupational Health Management team has compiled tips for  "Positive emotions and working from home" and other health tips.

Psychological counseling in stressful situations in the corona crisis

In stressful situations and conflicts in the corona crisis, the Psychosocial Counseling Service for employees can offer advice. Until further notice, this service is provided exclusively by telephone. You can reach the counseling service Mon to Fri from 9:00-12:00, Tel. 07071-2977563. In addition, you can make appointments at any time via the counseling service's e-mail address: karla.polen-beerspam prevention@uni-tuebingen.

Information and offers for teaching staff for designing online classes and digital teaching in the summer semester 2020

Information for researchers, e.g. on third-party funding