- 1987 - 1992 Study of chemistry (focus: Theoretical and Physical Chemistry) at University of Leipzig.
- 1992 - 1997 PhD student, University of Leipzig, X-ray and Photoelectron Spectroscopy, Surface Analysis
Title of the Thesis (german): “Characterization of chemically modified InP surfaces”, supervisor: Prof. Th. Chassé
- 1998 - 2003 Scientific coworker at Leibniz Institute for Solid State and Materials Research Dresden, group "Surfaces and Interfaces". Main research fields: organic semiconductor interfaces
- since 2003 permanent scientific coworker (senior scientist) at the Eberhard-Karls-Universität Tübingen, Institute of Physical and Theoretical Chemistry, group "Physical Chemistry of Condensed Matter"
- April 2011 Habilitation (venia legendi, "permission for lecturing") in Physical Chemistry
- October 2016 "außerplanmäßiger Professor" (Adjunct Professor)
- Referee for more than 20 scientific journals
- since 2012: Member of the Scientific Selection Panel, Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin
- since 2013: Member of the International Users' Committee, Synchrotron light source ANKA, Karlsruhe