Universität Tübingen GUZ
Office: Room 6U03, GUZ
Fields of study
- Isotope geochemistry
- Magmatic petrology
My research focus currently lies on the connection between Earth’s interior and exterior volatile evolution. Starting point is the geochemical investigation of volcanogenic and mantle-derived rocks plus their major and accessory minerals with emphasis (but no restriction) on subduction-related recycling. Fieldwork in order to obtain rock samples is often a critical aspect of the research process.
Analytical tools include lithophile trace element and radiogenic isotope geochemistry and more recently also chalcophile/volatile trace elements (S, Se, Te) and stable isotopes. Development of analytical methods involving design/calibration of enriched isotope single and double spikes and new chromatographic trace element separation techniques for precise isotope ratio measurements via MC-ICPMS.
Teaching and Supervision
- Ranging from supervision of BSC, MSc and PhD theses to seminars and leading volcanological-petrological-geochemically oriented fieldtrips
- Students interested in BSc or MSc projects feel free to contact me or drop by my office
|since 2015|| |
ERC Principal Investigator at the Isotope Geochemistry Group, University of Tübingen, Germany
Research Scientist at the University of Cologne and Bonn, Germany
PhD at the University of Bonn, Germany
Diploma at the University of Münster, Germany
Scientific Research Grants
European Research Council (ERC)
German Science Foundation (DFG)
German Science Foundation (DFG)
Honors & Services
Convener of session “The use of sulphur, chalcophile and highly siderophile elements in the study of Earth's origin and evolution” at the Goldschmidt conference 2017 in Paris, France
Invited speaker, 25th Goldschmidt conference 2015 Prague, Czech Republik
German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
ca.2.500 €Special Grant to support invited oral presentation at Goldschmidt conference 2014
Invited speaker, 24th Goldschmidt conference 2014 in Sacramento, USA
Convener of session “Highly siderophile and chalcophile elements in the Earth’s mantle” at the 23rd Goldschmidt conference 2013 in Florence, Italy
Invited speaker, 23rd Goldschmidt conference 2013 in Florence, Italy
Keynote speaker, German Mineral. Soc. conference 2010 Münster, Germany
Coauthor of proposal granted by German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
ca. 10.000 €Support for Student Field Trip to Indonesia (Principal Organizer, Fieldtrip Co-Leader)
Peer-reviewer for scientific journals including Earth and Planetary Science Letters, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, Geology, Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, Chemical Geology, Canadian Journal of Mineralogy
International Sampling Expeditions
Expedition and sample campaign to the Kingdom of Tonga
Sample campaign to French Polynesia including the Gambier chain
Sample campaign to Cyprus
Sample campaign to Lherz, French Pyrenees
Sample campaign to Cycladic high-pressure belt, Syros, Greece (7 days)
Expedition and sample campaign to the Marquesas, Austral-Cook Islands and Society Islands, French Polynesia (4 weeks)
Sample campaign to the French Massif Central (2 weeks)
Sample campaign on Krakatau, Java, Bali as part of field trip (3 weeks)
Expedition and sample campaign to S. Papua New Guinea (6 weeks)
Sample campaign to Cyprus (7 days)
Expedition and sample campaign to the Solomon Islands (6 weeks)
- Varas-Reus MI, König S, Yierpan A, Lorand JP, Schoenberg R (2019): Selenium isotopes as tracers of a late volatile contribution to Earth from the outer Solar System. Nature Geoscience, doi:10.1038/s41561-019-0414-7 (2019).
- Cabral, AR, Zack, T, König S, Eickmann B, Kwitko-Ribeiro R, Tupinambá M, Lehmann B (2019) Distinguishing high- from low-temnperature platinum nuggets through their trace-element pattern. Economic Geology 114(2), 201-206
- Yierpan A, König S, Labidi J, Schoenberg R (2019): Selenium isotope and S-Se-Te elemental systematics along the Pacific-Antarctic ridge: Role of mantle processes. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 249: 199-224. DOI: 10.1016/j.gca.2019.01.028
- Kurzawa T, König S, Alt JC, Yierpan A, Schoenberg R (2019): The role of subduction recycling on the selenium isotope signature of the mantle: Constraints from Mariana arc lavas. Chemical Geology 513: 239-249. DOI: 10.1016/j.chemgeo.2019.03.011.
- König S, Eickmann B, Zack T, Yierpan A, Wille M, Taubald H, Schoenberg R (2019): Redox induced sulfur-selenium isotope decoupling recorded in pyrite. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 244: 24-39.
- Wille M, Nebel O, Pettke T, Vroon PZ, König S, Schoenberg R (2018) Molybdenum isotope variations in calc-alkaline lavas from the Banda arc, Indonesia: Assessing the effect of crystal fractionation in creating isotopically heavy continental crust. Chemical Geology doi.org/10.1016/j.chemgeo.2018.02.037
- Banning H, Stelling M, König S, Schoenberg R, Neumann T (2018) Preparation and purification of organic samples for selenium isotope studies. PLoS ONE 13 (3): e0193826. DOI doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0193826
- Yierpan A, König S, Labidi J, Kurzawa T, Babechuk MG, Schoenberg R (2018): Chemical Sample Processing for Combined Selenium Isotope and Selenium-Tellurium Elemental Investigation of the Earth's Igneous Reservoirs. G³ Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems. doi.org/10.1002/2017GC007299
- Labidi J, König S, Kurzawa T, Yierpan A, Schoenberg R (2018): The selenium isotopic variations in chondrites are mass-dependent; Implications for sulfide formation in the early solar system. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 481: 212-222
- Kurzawa T, König S, Labidi J, Yierpan A, Schoenberg R (2017). A method for Se isotope analysis of low ng-level geological samples via double spike and hydride generation MC-ICP-MS. Chemical Geology 466: 219-228.
- König S, Wille M, Voegelin A, Schoenberg R (2016): Molybdenum isotope systematics in subduction zones. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 447, 95–102. DOI: 10.1016/j.epsl.2016.04.033
- Harvey J, König S, Luguet A (2015): The effects of melt depletion and metasomatism on highly siderophile and strongly chalcophile elements: S–Se–Te–Re–PGE systematics of peridotite xenoliths from Kilbourne Hole, New Mexico. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 166, 210-233.
- Luguet A, Behrens M, Pearson DG, König S, Herwartz D (2015): Significance of the whole rock Re–Os ages in cryptically and modally metasomatised cratonic peridotites: Constraints from HSE–Se–Te systematics. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 164, 441-463.
- König S, Luguet A, Lorand J-P, Lissner M, Pearson DG (2015): Reply to the comment on “A non-primitive origin of near-chondritic S–Se–Te ratios in mantle peridotites: Implications for the Earth’s late accretionary history” by König S et al. (Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. 385 (2014) 110-121). Earth and Planetary Science Letters 417, 167–169. doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2015.02.032
- Jenner FE, Hauri EH, Bullock ES, König S, Arculus RJ, Mavrogenes JA, Mikkelson N, and Goddard C (2015): The competing effects of sulfide saturation versus degassing on the behavior of the chalcophile elements during the differentiation of hydrous melts. Geochem. Geophys. Geosyst., 16, 1490–1507. doi:10.1002/2014GC005670
- König S, Lissner M, Lorand J-P, Bragagni A, Luguet A (2015): Mineralogical control of selenium, tellurium and some highly siderophile elements in the Earth’s mantle: evidence from mineral separates of ultra-depleted mantle residues. Chemical Geology 396, 16-24.
- Lissner M, König S, Luguet A, le Roux PJ, Schuth S, Heuser A, le Roex AP (2014): Selenium and Tellurium systematics in MORB: Constraints from the Southern Mid Atlantic Ridge (47-50ºS). Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 144, 379-402.
- König S, Lorand J-P, Luguet A, Pearson DG (2014): A non-primitive origin of near-chondritic S-Se-Te ratios in mantle peridotites; implications for the Earth's late accretionary history. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 385, 110–121.
- König S, Luguet A, Lorand J-P, Wombacher F, Lissner M (2012): Selenium and tellurium systematics of the Earth’s mantle from high precision analyses of ultra-depleted orogenic peridotites. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 86, 354–366.
- Schuth S, König S, Münker C (2011): Subduction zone dynamics in the SW Pacific plate boundary region constrained from high-precision Pb isotope data. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 311, 328–338.
- König S, Münker C, Hohl S, Paulick H, Barth, AR, Lagos M, Pfänder J, Büchl A (2011): The Earth’s tungsten budget during mantle melting and crust formation. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 75, 2119–2136.
- König S, Schuth S (2011): Deep melting of old subducted oceanic crust recorded by superchondritic Nb/Ta in modern island arc lavas. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 301, 265–274.
- Hoffmann JE, Münker C, Polat A, König S, Mezger K, Rosing MT (2010): Highly depleted Hadean mantle reservoirs in the sources of early Archean arc-like rocks, Isua supracrustal belt, southern West Greenland. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 74, 7236–7260.
- König S, Münker C, Schuth S, Luguet A, Hoffmann JE, Kuduon J (2010): Boninites as windows into trace element mobility in subduction zones. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 74, 684–704.
- Schuth, S, Münker, C, König, S, Qopoto, C, Basi, S, Garbe-Schonberg, D, and Ballhaus, C (2009): Petrogenesis of Lavas along the Solomon Island Arc, SWPacific: Coupling of Compositional Variations and Subduction Zone Geometry. Journal of Petrology 50(5), 781–811.
- König S, Münker C, Schuth S, Garbe-Schönberg D (2008): Mobility of Tungsten in Subduction Zones. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 274, 82–92.
- König S, Schuth S, Münker C, Qopoto C (2007): The role of slab melting in the petrogenesis of high-Mg andesites: evidence from Simbo Volcano, Solomon Islands. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 153, 85–103.