Students can register online for excursions and mapping courses. This covers the following modules:
- BSc-Geosciences: Module Gelände 1 (6 credits. 18 excursion days, including the 4-day stratigraphisches Geländepraktkum)
- BSc-Geosciences: Module Gelände 2 (6 credits. ca. 14-day mapping course)
- MSc-Geosciences: Module Gelände 1 (6 credits. 18 excursion days)
- MSc-Geosciences: Module Gelände 2 (6 credits. ca. 14-day advanced mapping course)
Once you are registered you can log in to see the list of excursions and mapping courses that are offered. Basic information (dates, costs, destination, etc.) can be found on the website. Some lecturers may have provided more information in a PDF that can be downloaded, or on a website for which you will find the link. You can also see how many students have already registered for a particular course. This will help you to see which courses are popular and oversubscribed.
You must then register separately for
- Mapping courses (internal link)
- Excursions, including the stratigraphisches Geländepraktikum (internal link)
Please note the deadlines!
Each course may have a different deadline. You can change your registration at any time until the deadline.
For each MAPPING COURSE you choose from one of four options:
- I absolutely need to go to this mapping course (*). This means you must go to this one and cannot go to any other course that is offered.
- I would like to go to this course.
- I could go to this course if necessary, but I prefer another one. Some courses are oversubscribed and then, unfortunately, some students will have to transfer to another course.
- I absolutely cannot go to this course (*). If your preferred mapping course is oversubscribed, you cannot be transferred to this course.
(*) If you choose options (1) or (4) you must provide a brief reason. This could be that you attended this course before, for example.
We do our best to provide every student with their preferred options, but cannot always satisfy everyone's wishes. Note that only one mapping course is compulsory for BSc-students in Geosciences. You can only do an extra second one if the course leader agrees to this, but you have no right to a second course and will be lowest priority.
For each EXCURSION you choose from the following options:
- I absolutely need to go to this excursion. This means you must go to this one for some reason and you need to explain why.
- I would like to go to this excursion.
- I don't want to go to this excursion.
Some excursions are oversubscribed. It is therefore good to register for one or more "back-up" excursions. Excursion leaders of oversubscribed excursions will do their Vorbesprechung first and select the students that can go on their excursion. Please note that if you already have enough excursion days for your module, you have lowest priority!
Please contact or email:
- The course leader, if you have questions about a particular course,
- Paul Bons, only if you have questions about excursions and mapping courses in general. I have no information on individual courses, nor on which course has places available. Only the course leaders know these things!
Two mapping courses will be offered in 2019 (more detailed info will come soon):
- BSc: Molinos, Spain, 22 September - 9 October (Sebastain Mutz, Hartmut Schulz & Paul Bons). Priority is given to BSc-students. Note that this trip consists of the mapping course and 3 additional excursion days that can count for your excursions module.
- MSc: Greece, probably September (Michael Marks). Priority is given to MSc-students. This mappoing course is somewhat "mineralogy-oriented". A more "geology-oriented" MSc-mapping course will be offered in 2020.
The Molinos course is intended for all BSc-students in the 4th semester in summer 2019, so who started their studies in WS 2017-2018 or before. Students that enrolled in WS 2018-2019 must do their BSc-mapping course in Molinos in 2020, again in September (possibly running until early October; dates will be announced in due time).
The second mapping course (this year Greece) is intended for MSc-students only.
If, for some reason, you absolutely cannot attend the course that is intended for you, please register for the other course and contact the course leader.
At the moment, it is not possible to attend 2 mapping courses. We are working on making this possible in MSc. A mapping course is not the same as an excursion. Therefore not all field days of a mapping course can be transferred to count as excursion days (Field module 1) instead of a mapping course. The maximum number is 8. Please contact the Module Coordinator if you have questions.
Please remember to cancel your registration if you do not want to attend an excursion any more.
This helps the lecturers a lot!