|Telefon||+49 7071 29-70532|
|Telefax||+49 7071 29-5220|
Lehrstuhl für Kommunikationsnetze
Wilhelm-Schickard-Institut für Informatik
Sand 13, 72076 Tübingen
Dr. Christian Hoene is a postdoc at the “Computer Networks and Internet” group at the University of Tübingen, Germany. He is a researcher covering the areas of Internet based voice communication, wireless transmissions, location tracking, metering, accounting, and charging. Christian has studied at Technical University of Berlin in the TKN Group. He is the author of about 35 publications, multiple standard contributions, and has received one best paper award. Herr Hoene was also awarded in 2000 with Erwin Stephan Prize for passing his studies of computer engineering at the TU-Berlin with distinction. In 2001, he was a visiting scholar at the COMET Group of Prof. Campbell, Columbia University, New York. In 2005 he finished his Ph.D. studies on voice over WLAN also with distinction. He is supported within the elite programme for postdocs, which is funded by the Landesstiftung Baden-Württemberg. Since April 2008 he has been in charge of the main lectures because the chair of the Computer Networks and Internet group is vacant.
His scientific merits are affirmed by more than 650 citations and a Hirsch-factor of 12 according to the comprehensive data base of Google Scholar. The results of his work have influenced the standardization of ITU-T Study Group 12 (appendix to ITU G.107), IEEE 802.11v working group and Internet Engineering Task Force. In the IETF, he is a main contributor and founding member of the IETF working group Codec.
He is in the TPC of the IEEE workshop on Bandwidth on Demand 2008 and 2010, the IEEE conferences CCNC 2010, NEW2AN 2009, ICC 2008/2009/2010, MELT 2010, and on ACM CoNEXT 2008 (Shadow) and a reviewer for ICC, Globecom, VTC, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing, Elsevier Ad Hoc Networks Journal, Elsevier Computer Networks Journal, Elsevier Computer Communications Journal and other conferences and journals.
Dr. Hoene is a member of IEEE Comsoc, VDE and AES.
Since July 2011, Dr. Christian Hoene, Michael Haun and Patrick Schreiner are focusing on their start-up company: the Symonics GmbH was founded on January 10th, 2012. Since then, Dr. Christian Hoene is the CEO/CTO of Symonics GmbH.
The goals of our group are to develop and enhance Interactive Communication Systems and ensure that they have a high service quality, high degree of reliability and are easy to use. These interactive services shall enhance the quality of communication and shall use resources efficiently.
Current research is on
Book chapter and PhD theses
- Edjair Mota, Edjard Mota, Leandro Carvalho, Andrea Nascimento, and Christian Hoene. Pursuing credibility in performance evaluation of voip over wireless mesh networks. In Nobuo Funabiki, editor, Wireless Mesh Networks. ISBN: 978-953-307-519-8, January 2011.
- Christian Hoene. Internet Telephony over Wireless Links. PhD thesis, Technical University of Berlin, TKN, December 2005. [ .pdf ]
- H. Sanneck, W. Mohr, L. Le, Christian Hoene, and Adam Wolisz. Quality of service support for Voice over IP over wireless. In S. Dixit and R. Prasad, editors, Wireless IP and Building the Mobile Internet, chapter 10. Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA, December 2002. [ http ]
- Marc Fouquet, Christian Hoene, Morten Schläger, and Georg Carle. Data collection in future mobile networks. Telecommunication Systems, 48(3-4):1-12, 2010. 10.1007/s11235-010-9344-9. [ .pdf ]
- Sofiene Jelassi, Habib Youssef, Christian Hoene, and Guy Pujolle. Single-ended parametric voicing-aware models for live assessment of packetized voip conversations. Telecommunication Systems, pages 1-18, 2010. 10.1007/s11235-010-9350-y. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene, Kai Clüver, and Jan Weil. An architecture for a next generation VoIP transmission system. Praxis der Informationsverarbeitung und Kommunikation, 30(2), April-June 2007. [ http | .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene, Holger Karl, and Adam Wolisz. A perceptual quality model intended adaptive VoIP applications. International Journal of Communication Systems, Wiley, August 2005. [ DOI | .pdf ]
- A. Willig, M. Kubisch, Christian Hoene, and Adam Wolisz. Measurements of a wireless link in an industrial environment using an IEEE 802.11-compliant physical layer. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 43(6):1265-1282, December 2002. [ .ps | .pdf ]
Publications on conferences
- Christian Hoene, Isabel Patino Mejia, and Alexandru Cacerovschi. MySofa - Design Your Personal HRTF. In Audio Engineering Society Convention 142, Berlin, Germany, May 2017. [ .pdf ]
- Christoph Hoene, Andreas Krebs, and Mark Schmidt. Efficient transmission of uncertain location information. In 2011 International Conference on Indoor Positioning and Indoor Navigation (IPIN), Guimarães, Portugal, September 2011. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene and Patrick Schreiner. A dtn mode for reliable internet telephony. In ACM Network and Operating System Support for Digital Audio and Video workshop (NOSSDAV), Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, June 2011. [ .pdf ]
- Stefan König, Mark Schmidt, and Christian Hoene. Multipath mitigation for indoor localization based on IEEE 802.11 time-of-flight measurements. In 12th IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (WoWMoM) (IEEE WoWMoM 2011), Lucca, Italy, 2011. [ .pdf ]
- Mansoor Hyder, Michael Haun, Olesja Weidmann, and Christian Hoene. Assessing virtual teleconferencing rooms. In Presented at the 129th AES Convention, San Francisco, CA, USA, November 2010. [ .pdf ]
- Stefan König, Mark Schmidt, and Christian Hoene. Precise time of flight measurements in IEEE 802.11 networks by Cross-Correlating the sampled signal with a continuous barker code. In The Third Workshop on Mobile Entity Localization and Tracking (MELT 2010), San Francisco, USA, November 2010. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene and Mansoor Hyder. Optimally using the bluetooth subband audio codec (SBC) over wireless links and on the internet. In the 35th Annual IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN) (LCN 2010), Denver, Colorado, USA, October 2010. [ .pdf ]
- Mansoor Hyder. Optimizing a 3D audio teleconference application. In ETSI QoS QoE User Experience Workshop - Focusing on speech / multimedia conference tools, Sophia Antipolis, France, September 2010.
- Joao Batista Pinto Neto, Edson N. Silva Jr., Edjair Mota, Christian Hoene, and Kleverson Santana Paixa. An alternative to data transmission in the amazon region. In The 2nd Extreme Workshop on Communication - The Himalayan Expedition (ExtremeCom 2010), September 2010. [ .pdf ]
- Mansoor Hyder, Michael Haun, and Christian Hoene. Placing the participants of a spatial audio conference call. In IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference - Multimedia Communication and Services (CCNC 2010), Las Vegas, USA, January 2010. [ .pdf ]
- Ram Krishna and Christian Hoene. Calculating relative clock drifts using IEEE 802.11 beacons. In IEEE INDICON, Ahmedabad, India, December 2009. [ .pdf ]
- Nikolaus Krämer, Andreas Monger, Leo Petrak, Christian Hoene, Markus Steinmetz, and Weiwei Cheng. A collaborative self-monitoring system for highly reliable wireless sensor networks. In Proceedings of the 2nd IFIP conference on Wireless days, WD'09, pages 343-348, Piscataway, NJ, USA, December 2009. IEEE Press. [ http ]
- Marc Fouquet, Christian Hoene, Morten Schläger, and Georg Carle. Data collection for heterogeneous handover decisions in beyond 3G networks. In Second Joint IFIP Wireless and Mobile Networking Conference (WMNC), Gdansk, Poland, September 2009. [ .pdf ]
- Sofiene Jelassi, Habib Ben Youssef, Christian Hoene, and Guy Pujolle. Voicing-aware parametric speech quality models over VoIP networks. In Global Information Infrastructure Symposium (IEEE GIIS 2009), Hammamet, Tunisia, June 2009. [ .pdf ]
- Joao Luis G. Moreira, Edjair Mota, Edson N. Silva Jr., Leandro Carvalho, Saulo Queiroz, and Christian Hoene. Voice over wireless mesh networks: A case study of voice codecs in the brazilian amazon region. In Fifth International Workshop on Heterogeneous Wireless Networks (HWISE), Bradford, UK, May 2009.
- Mansoor Hyder, Michael Haun, and Christian Hoene. Measurements of sound localization performance and speech quality in the context of 3d audio conference calls. In International Conference on Acoustics, Rotterdam, Netherlands, March 2009. NAG/DAGA. [ .pdf ]
- Andreas Monger, Marc Fouquet, Christian Hoene, Georg Carle, and Morten Schlaeger. A metering infrastructure for heterogeneous mobile networks. In First International Conference on COMmunication Systems and NETworkS (COMSNETS), Bangalore, India, January 2009. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene and Jörg Willmann. Four-way TOA and software-based trilateration of IEEE 802.11 devices. In IEEE PIMRC, Cannes, September 2008. [ .pdf ]
- Timo Schairer, Christian Weiss, Philipp Vorst, Jürgen Sommer, Christian Hoene, Wolfgang Rosenstiel, Wolfgang Straßer, Andreas Zell, Georg Carle, Patrick Schneider, and Anette Weisbecker. Integrated scenario for machine-aided inventory using ambient sensors. In Proceedings of the 4th European Workshop on RFID Systems and Technologies (RFID SysTech 2008), Freiburg, June 2008. VDE/ITG. [ .pdf ]
- Philipp Vorst, Jürgen Sommer, Christian Hoene, Patrick Schneider, Christian Weiss, Timo Schairer, Wolfgang Rosenstiel, Andreas Zell, and Georg Carle. Indoor positioning via three different RF technologies. In Proceedings of the 4th European Workshop on RFID Systems and Technologies (RFID SysTech 2008), Freiburg, June 2008. VDE/ITG. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene, Ian Marsh, Günter Schäfer, and Adam Wolisz. Error propagation after concealing a lost speech frame. In Proceedings of Multicomm 2006, Istanbul, Turkey, June 2006. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene and Till Wimmer. Classifying VoIP μ-law packets in real-time. In ITG-Fachtagung Sprachkommunikation 2006, Kiel, Germany, April 2006. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene and Adam Wolisz. VoIP und WLAN. In Vorträge des 199. PTB-Seminars, Berlin November 2004, number 13 in PTB-IT, pages 49-52, Braunschweig und Berlin, Germany, March 2006. Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt. [ .pdf ]
- C. Mahlo, Christian Hoene, A. Rostami, and Adam Wolisz. Adaptive coding and packet rates for TCP-friendly VoIP flows. In Proc. of 3rd International Symposium on Telecommunications (IST2005), Shiraz, Iran, September 2005. [ http | .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene, Sven Wiethölter, and Adam Wolisz. Calculation of speech quality by aggregating the impacts of individual frame losses. In Thirteenth International Workshop on Quality of Service (IWQoS 2005), Passau, Germany, June 2005. [ .pdf ]
- A. Günther and Christian Hoene. Measuring round trip times to determine the distance between WLAN nodes. In Networking 2005, Waterloo, Canada, May 2005. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene, S. Wiethölter, and Adam Wolisz. Predicting the perceptual service quality using a trace of VoIP packets. In Fifth International Workshop on Quality of future Internet Services (QofIS'04), Barcelona, Spain, September 2004. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene, H. Karl, and Adam Wolisz. A perceptual quality model for adaptive voip applications. In Proc. of International Symposium on Performance Evaluation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems (SPECTS'04), San Jose, California, USA, July 2004. paper won the Best Paper Award of the conference. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene and Enhtuya Dulamsuren-Lalla. Predicting performance of PESQ in case of single frame losses. In Measurement of Speech and Audio Quality in Networks Workshop (MESAQIN), Prague, CZ, June 2004. [ .pdf ]
- A. Aguiar, Christian Hoene, J. Klaue, H. Karl, H. Miesmer, and Adam Wolisz. Channel-aware schedulers for VoIP and MPEG4 based on channel prediction. In Eight International Workshop on Mobile Multimedia Communications(MoMuC'03), October 2003. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene, A. Günther, and Adam Wolisz. Measuring the impact of slow user motion on packet loss and delay over IEEE 802.11b wireless links. In Proc. of Workshop on Wireless Local Networks (WLN) 2003, Bonn, Germany, October 2003. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene, B. Rathke, and Adam Wolisz. On the importance of a VoIP packet. In ISCA Tutorial and Research Workshop on the Auditory Quality of Systems, Mont-Cenis, Germany, April 2003. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene, I. Carreras, T. Chen, and Adam Wolisz. Design and deployment of link-layer boosters for per-flow improvement of QoS in wireless internet access. In European Wireless 2002, pages 170-176, Florence, Italy, February 2002. [ .ps.gz | .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene, I. Carreras, and Adam Wolisz. Voice over IP: Improving the quality over wireless LAN by adopting a booster mechanism - an experimental approach. In SPIE 2001 - Voice Over IP (VoIP) Technology, pages 157-168, Denver, CO, August 2001. [ .ps | .pdf ]
- Adam Wolisz, Christian Hoene, B. Rathke, and M. Schläger. Proxies, active networks, re-configurable terminals: The cornerstones of future wireless internet. In Proc. of IST Mobile Communications Summit, pages 795-803, Galway, Ireland, October 2000. [ .ps.gz | .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene. Measuring the quality of an internet interactive audio codec. IETF draft-hoene-codec-quality-00.txt, work in progress, December 2010. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene, Andras Krebs, Christoph Behle, and Mark Schmidt. Bayesian location identifier. IETF draft-hoene-geopriv-bli-00.txt, work in progress, October 2010. [ .txt ]
- Christian Hoene and Michael Knappe. IETF audio codec: Quality testing. Presentation at the 78th IETF meeting, Maastricht, July 2010. [ .pdf ]
- Patrick Schreiner and Christian Hoene. Rate adaptation for the IETF IIAC. Presentation at the 78th IETF meeting, Maastricht, July 2010. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene and Frans de Bont. RTP payload format for bluetooth's SBC audio codec. IETF draft-ietf-avt-rtp-sbc-00.txt, work in progress, June 2010. [ http ]
- Stephan Linzner. Multimodale Indoor-Lokalisierung für Android basierte mobile Endgeräte. Diplomarbeit an der Universität Tübingen - Wilhelm-Schickard-Institut für Informatik - Forschergruppe für Interaktive Kommunikationssysteme, May 2010. Betreuer: Dr. Christian Hoene. [ .pdf ]
- Stephan Linzner, Daniel Kersting, and Christian Hoene. Smart space - an indoor positioning framework. talk at the Droidcon '09, November 2009. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene and Mansoor Hyder. Considering bluetooth's subband codec (SBC) for wideband speech and audio on the internet. Technical Report WSI-2009-3, Universität Tübingen - Wilhelm-Schickard-Institut für Informatik, 72076 Tübingen, Germany, October 2009. [ http ]
- Christian Hoene. Requirements of an audio communication system (acs). IETF draft-hoene-avt-acs-requirements-00.txt, work in progress, August 2009. [ .txt ]
- Christian Hoene and Frans de Bont. RTP payload format for bluetooth's SBC audio codec. IETF draft-hoene-avt-rtp-sbc-03.txt, work in progress, June 2009. [ .txt ]
- Christian Hoene. Position statement on buying bandwidth only when you need it. Talk at Dagstuhl Seminar "Bandwidth on Demand", February 2009. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene. Bandwidth station. Talk at Dagstuhl Seminar "Bandwidth on Demand", February 2009. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene. Conformance and quality tests of the SBC audio codec implementation in the linux kernel. online, December 2008. [ http ]
- Christian Hoene and Frans de Bont. RTP payload format for bluetooth's SBC audio codec. IETF draft-hoene-avt-rtp-sbc-02.txt, work in progress, December 2008. [ .txt ]
- Christian Hoene. Ambisense - identifying and locating objects with ambient sensors. Talk at the workshop 'When Ambient Intelligence meets Web 2.0: Wiki-City, A City interacts with its citizen' at the Ambient Intelligence conference (AiM'08), November 2008. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene and Frans de Bont. RTP payload format for bluetooth's SBC audio codec. IETF draft-hoene-avt-rtp-sbc-00.txt, work in progress, October 2008. [ .txt ]
- Mathias Bartl and Christian Hoene. An open-source softphone for musicians playing over IP. ITU-T Workshop 'From Speech to Audio: bandwidth extension, binaural perception', September 2008. [ .pdf ]
- Mansoor Hyder and Christian Hoene. 3D telephony. ITU-T Workshop 'From Speech to Audio: bandwidth extension, binaural perception', September 2008. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene. A low-cost WLAN based time-of-flight trilateration. Talk at Third Annual Technology Workshop for Precision Indoor Personnel Location and Tracking for Emergency Responders (PPL 2008), August 2008. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene and Georgios Tokas. Mobile communication applicances for determing distances from other mobile communication appliances, and associated method. Patent (WO/2008/110157A3), March 2008. Priority Data: 10 2007 012 087 13.03.2008 DE. [ http ]
- Georg Carle, Ali Fessi, Marc Fouquet, Fabian Haibl, Christian Hoene, Andreas Klenk, Morten Schläger, and Laurensius Tionardi. Method for operating a packet-oriented communication system and for classifying a packet data flow and network nodes of a packet-oriented communication system. Patent (WO/2008/037648), September 2006. Priority Data: 10 2006 047 075.3 27.09.2006 DE. [ http ]
- Christian Hoene. Next generation Wi-Fi VoIP phones. talk on the IQPC Conference VoWLAN, July 2006. Berlin, Germany. [ http ]
- Sven Wiethölter, Marc Emmelmann, Christian Hoene, and Adam Wolisz. TKN EDCA model for ns/2. Technical Report TKN-06-003, Telecommunication Networks Group, Technische Universität Berlin, June 2006. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene. Next generation Wi-Fi voip phones: How to reduce the packet rate of speech codecs? talk on the ITG Fachtagung VoWLAN, May 2006. Würzburg, Germany. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene. Calculation of speech quality by aggregating the impacts of individual frame losses. 18th meeting of the Network Management Research Group (NMRG) of the Internet Research Task Force (IRTF), Nancy, France, July 2005.
- Christian Hoene. Seven myths about Wi-Fi VoIP - a vision of next generation Wi-Fi VoIP telephones. Wi-Fi Voice Conference 2005, Paris Bercy, France, May 2005. [ http ]
- A. Günther and Christian Hoene. Measuring round trip times to determine the distance between WLAN nodes. Technical Report TKN-04-016, Telecommunication Networks Group, Technische Universität Berlin, December 2004. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene. VoIP on WLAN. talk at Create-Net/Dipartimento Informatica e Telecomunicazioni (UNITN), September 2004. Trento, Italy. [ www: ]
- Christian Hoene. VoIP on WLAN. talk at IEIIT-CNR, Poilitecnico di Torino, September 2004. Torino, Italy.
- Christian Hoene. IP telephony over WLAN. talk at Atheros, August 2004. Sunnyvale, CA, USA.
- Christian Hoene. A perceptual quality model for adaptive VoIP applications: Softwaredistribution. web page, July 2004. [ http ]
- Christian Hoene. Simulating playout schedulers for VoIP - software package. web page, June 2004. [ http ]
- Christian Hoene. IP Telephony on Wireless LAN,. talk at IHP, June 2004. Frankfurt (Oder), Germany. [ www: ]
- Christian Hoene. IP telephony over wireless LAN: Current research activities. talk at the Wi-Fi Voice Conference 2004, May 2004. Paris, France. [ http ]
- Sven Wiethölter, Christian Hoene, and Adam Wolisz. Perceptual quality of internet telephony over IEEE 802.11e supporting enhanced DCF and contention free bursting. Technical Report TKN-04-011, Telecommunication Networks Group, Technische Universität Berlin, May 2004. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene. Software tool Mongolia. web page, April 2004. [ http ]
- Christian Hoene. Batch Distribution - a tool to run a batch of computation jobs distributed. web page, November 2003. [ http ]
- Sven Wiethölter and Christian Hoene. An IEEE 802.11e EDCF and CFB simulation model for ns-2. web page, November 2003. [ http ]
- Sven Wiethölter and Christian Hoene. Design and verification of an IEEE 802.11e EDCF simulation model in ns-2.26. Technical Report TKN-03-019, Telecommunication Networks Group, Technische Universität Berlin, November 2003. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene. An experimental approach to WLAN research - a short tutorial. talk at the ESF Workshop, October 2002. La Spezia, Italy. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene. Reconfigurable wireless link layer protocols. invited talk at the Second European Colloquium on Reconfigurable Radio, June 2002. Athens, Greece. [ .pdf ]
- Sebastian Möller and Christian Hoene. Information about a new method for deriving the transmission rating factor R from MOS in closed form. ITU - Telecommunication Standardization Sector, May 2002. temporary document for the Study Group 12. [ .pdf ]
- Christian Hoene. Easysnuffle - a tool to measure the performance of multimedia flows over IEEE 802.11b. web page, March 2001. [ http ]
- Christian Hoene. Downloadable protocols for mobile internet terminals. talk at the ITG Fachtagung Funksystem: Topic Software Defined Radio, University Duisburg, March 2001.