Englisches Seminar

Exchange Programmes


Departmental Coordinators: Dr. Robert McColl & Dr. Elisabeth Chaghafi.
General questions: Dr. Robert McColl.
Course recognition (ERASMUS): Dr. Elisabeth Chaghafi.

Erasmus Office:
Room 363.

Winter semester 18/19:
General questions/application documents: Wednesday, 4-5 pm.
Credit recognition (literary and cultural studies only): Wednesday, 11-12 am.
Questions can always be sent to: erasmusspam prevention@es.uni-tuebingen.de
Only emails to the official Erasmus address from above will be answered.

Semester break:
Office hours: Wed. 13.3., 11 h


Partner Universities

* = Semester/ year allocations possible
** = Year allocations only
*** = Semester allocations only

You can either apply for one semester (WS or SoSe) or a full year.
Please note that some of the universities are organised in terms (Sep – Dec), (Jan – Mar), (Apr – Jun).
It is only possible to go for the first term or the second and third term.

Please note: individual universities may impose restrictions upon the courses offered to Erasmus students. This may mean that you take courses outside the English department. Students are expected to show some flexibility in their module choices.

Advantages of the ERASMUS+ Programme:


Please follow the instructions in this document: How to apply

Deadline for WiSe 19/20 and SoSe 20: 21 Dec 2018


The exchange with Australien, Canadian and US universities is organised by Dezernat III Abteilung 1.
Information can be found on the webpage "Außereuropäischer Austausch".
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: The application process is different from applying through ERASMUS+ and it is organised by a different office.


Courses successfully completed abroad under Erasmus+ can be recognised by your home university if they are equivalent in amount of work required and level of study (first year, second year etc). To this end, you must fill out a binding Learning Agreement and get it signed by Dr Chaghafi / Dr McColl and by the host university. You must go to the web pages of the host university and sort out what courses you wish to take in the light of what you might still require here at Tübingen. There are some restrictions, as for example, you must take one Hauptseminar (in Literature and Linguistics) here in Tübingen.

Because the Erasmus+ programme promises course recognition before you actually leave Tübingen, the Learning Agreement is an important document and the signatures on it are meaningful. Careless or unrealistic learning agreements will not be signed.

There is a chance to change the agreement once you arrive at the host university and face a situation on the ground different to that expected from the web. This happens frequently because the web-information is often still one semester out of date at the time you have to hand in your learning agreement. The changed learning agreement has to be signed and countersigned per email at the latest one month after your arrival at your host university; it also requires careful thought.

Note that course recognition requires that you pass the course at your host university. Your grade here will reflect the grade there. If you want a course recognised as a PSII, for example, then the requirements and the level of the course at the host university must be at least equivalent to the requirements for a PSII here at Tübingen.


Application Procedure

When is the application deadline?
The deadline is usually in December for the following winter and summer semester (exact date see above).

Do I have to be in a certain semester to apply?
Yes. You need to have completed at least one year of study at your home university. Also, the universities require good language skills.

Do I need language certificates to apply?
For the first step of the application no language certificates are required. However, when you apply at the host university a proof of your language ability might be required, e.g., a certain grade in English in the Abitur. Please note: not all universities require this.
IMPORTANT: If you are not a EU/EEA citizen you will have to apply for a Tier 4 visa. For this purpose, you need to prove your language skills by presenting an official language certificate.

Can I choose to study at a certain university?
You can state preferences, but we allocate the students.

What is the minimum GPA?
There is no minimum GPA. Grades are only one aspect that will be considered.

Should I apply for ERASMUS through more than one department (e.g. Geschichte and Englisch)?
Yes, because places are limited.

How long can I stay abroad with ERASMUS +?
The Mobility grant is given out for 3 - 12 months. IMPORTANT: Shorter or longer stays will not be financially supported by the ERASMUS + programme.

Can I study in two separate countries during one academic year (12 months) and still receive ERASMUS grant?
Yes, this is possible if 2 departments nominate you (e.g. “Romanistik” und “Englisch”). For details please have a look at the ERASMUS homepage of Dez. III Abteilung 1.

Can I get leave of absence (Beurlaubung) for my stay abroad?
No. This is no longer possible.

Living Abroad

Where can I live?
Most of the universities offer halls of residence. However, places might be limited. If you are interested in living in a hall of residence get in touch with your host university as soon as possible to get information.
Further, you can also look for private accommodation. Occasionally in the past students have been cheated by fake letting agents. Some care is required. On the other hand many students take this route and are happy with it.

After your arrival at the host university

How many credits are required?
You do not need a certain number of credits to receive funding. However, the appropriate workload might be relevant for course recognition (see above). The recommendation is 30 ECTS per semester. Please be aware that there is a difference between ECTS and UK credits. Please always refer to ECTS Points.