Thomas Dresler is a psychologist with a focus on neuroscience who joined the LEAD faculty as a junior research group leader for the Intersection 2 (Educational Neuroscience). His main research interests are the application of neuroscientific methods in various settings (e.g., educational school settings and clinical settings) to investigate involved neural processes. During the last years he was involved in different research projects using the methods of electroencephalography (EEG), near-infrared sprectroscopy (NIRS), functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) and transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS).
Besides the interest in educational neuroscience, he investigates the neural foundations of mental disorders (e.g., anxiety disorders, ADHD), the specifically involved cognitive and emotional processes and their modification by different methodological approaches (e.g., psychotherapy and non-invasive brain stimulation). He is looking forward to combining different research approaches within an interdisciplinary environment which is offered by the LEAD graduate school.
Thomas Dresler plans to implement the available neuroscientific methods to answer some of the education-relevant research questions:
Furthermore, he is interested in using the neuroscientific and methodological knowledge to engage in new interdisciplinary research projects within the LEAD center.
- Dresler, T., Mériau, K., Heekeren, H. R. & van der Meer, E. (2009). Emotional Stroop task: effect of word arousal and subject anxiety on emotional interference. Psychological Research, 73(3), 364-371.
- Richter, M. M., Zierhut, K. C., Dresler, T., Plichta, M. M., Ehlis, A.-C., Reiss, K., Pekrun, R. & Fallgatter, A. J. (2009). Changes in cortical blood oxygenation during arithmetical tasks measured by near-infrared spectroscopy. Journal of Neural Transmission, 116(3), 267-273.
- Hahn, T., Dresler, T., Ehlis, A.-C., Plichta, M. M., Heinzel, S., Polak, T., Lesch, K.-P., Breuer, F., Jakob, P. M. & Fallgatter, A. J. (2009). Neural response to reward anticipation is modulated by Gray's impulsivity. Neuroimage, 46(4), 1148-1153.
- Dresler, T., Ehlis, A.-C., Plichta, M. M., Richter, M. M., Jabs, B., Lesch, K.-P. & Fallgatter, A. J. (2009). Panic disorder and a possible treatment approach by means of high-frequency rTMS: A case report. World Journal of Biological Psychiatry, 10(4 Pt. 3), 991-997.
- Dresler, T., Obersteiner, A., Schecklmann, M., Vogel, A. C. M., Ehlis, A.-C., Richter, M. M., Plichta, M. M., Reiss, K., Pekrun, R. & Fallgatter, A. J. (2009). Arithmetic tasks in different formats and their influence on behavior and brain oxygenation as assessed with near-infrared spectroscopy (NIRS): a study involving primary and secondary school children. Journal of Neural Transmission, 116(12), 1689-1700.
- Obersteiner, A., Dresler, T., Reiss, K., Vogel, A. C. M., Pekrun, R. & Fallgatter, A. J. (2010). Bringing brain imaging to the school to assess arithmetic problem solving. Chances and limitations in combining educational and neuroscientific research. ZDM. The International Journal of Mathematics Education, 42(6), 541-554.
- Dresler, T., Ehlis, A.-C., Heinzel, S., Renner, T. J., Reif, A., Baehne, C. G., Heine, M., Boreatti-Hümmer, A., Jacob, C. P., Lesch, K.-P. & Fallgatter, A. J. (2010). Dopamine Transporter (SLC6A3) genotype impacts neurophysiological correlates of cognitive response control in an adult sample of patients with ADHD. Neuropsychopharmacology, 35(11), 2193-2203.
- Dresler, T., Hahn, T., Plichta, M. M., Ernst, L. H., Tupak, S. V., Ehlis, A.-C., Warrings, B., Deckert, J. & Fallgatter, A. J. (2011). Neural Correlates of Spontaneous Panic Attacks. Journal of Neural Transmission, 118(2), 263-269.
- Guhn, A., Dresler, T., Hahn, T., Mühlberger, A., Ströhle, A., Deckert, J. & Herrmann, M. J. (2012). Medial Prefrontal Cortex Activity during the Extinction of Conditioned Fear – An Investigation using functional Near-infrared Spectroscopy (fNIRS). Neuropsychobiology, 65(4), 173-182.
- Tupak, S. V., Dresler, T., Badewien, M., Hahn, T., Ernst, L. H., Herrmann, M. J., Deckert, J., Ehlis, A.-C. & Fallgatter, A. J. (2013). Inhibitory transcranial magnetic theta burst stimulation attenuates prefrontal cortex oxygenation. Human Brain Mapping. 34(1), 150-157.
- Dresler, T., Guhn, A., Tupak, S. V., Ehlis, A.-C., Herrmann, M. J., Fallgatter, A. J., Deckert, J. & Domschke, K. (2013). Revise the Revised? - New dimensions of the Neuroanatomical Hypothesis of Panic Disorder. Journal of Neural Transmission, 120(1), 3-29.
- Käse, M., Dresler, T., Andreatta, M., Ehlis, A.-C., Wolff, B., Fallgatter, A. J. & Mühlberger, A. (2013). Is there a negative interpretation bias in depressed patients? An affective startle modulation study. Neuropsychobiology, 67, 201-209.
- Ehlis, A.-C., Schneider, S., Dresler, T. & Fallgatter, A. J. (accepted). Application of functional near-infrared spectroscopy in psychiatry. Neuroimage.