The online encyclopaedia ChinaKnowledge.de, founded in 2000, is a project of Dr. Ulrich Theobald. It provides—in a clearly arranged way—information on a wide range of topics in Chinese history, literature, art, religions, and philosophy. It draws to a great extent upon Chinese-language secondary sources and thus gives access to information rarely found in Western books. This is particularly interesting for those not able or not brave enough to read Chinese.
The encyclopaedia includes
- detailed information on all periods of Chinese history, key events, important persons (over 1,000), and technical terms or catchphrases until the present day
- more than 2,000 articles on traditional Chinese literature, with bibliographical descriptions of individual texts and treatises on literary genres
- a substantial number of descriptions of art objects and the development of art forms and trends
- in-depth articles on religions in China, with a focus on native Chinese religions
- scholarly introductions to all aspects of the Chinese language and forms of writing, with many examples from various dictionaries
- articles not only on the ancient "Hundred Schools", but on all important thinkers up to the 20th century, showing what concepts Confucian philosophers preferred in what age