Applied + Environmental Geoscience AEG - Master
Eckdaten zum Studiengang
Profil des Studiengangs
The M.Sc. program "Applied & Environmental Geoscience" (AEG) is an international research-oriented study program focusing on the evaluation and solution of environmental problems. Special emphasis is given to environmental problems in the subsurface such as the pollution of drinking water supplies from groundwater resources, the non-sustainable use of natural resources, the impact of short and long term waste disposal, the impact of climate and land-use change on soil and water quality.
The program aims for a comprehensive understanding of the physical, chemical, and biological process mechanisms in the geo- and hydrosphere. Students from various science backgrounds learn to qualitatively and quantitatively address complex processes in soils, water and air and to evaluate environmental risks based on multi-disciplinary approaches.
AEG is a 2-year program, beginning in the winter semester of each year. It consists of a suite of 6 compulsory modules (36 credits), 9 elective modules (54 credits) and a Master thesis (30 credits).
The first semester with the compulsory modules "Hydrogeology", "Aquatic and Environmental Chemistry" and "Environmental Modeling 1" introduces students to the necessary theoretical and quantitative aspects of environmental and applied geosciences. The following semesters allow students an individual focus of studies. By choosing the appropriate elective modules students can specialize in
- Environmental Chemistry and Environmental Microbiology
- Environmental Physics and Environmental Modeling
In the compulsory modules "Scientific Practise 1+2" and "Scientific Presentation" students gain additional practical interdisciplinary skills, and benefit from close interaction with staff and research groups as well as an early start of the master thesis in the 3rd semester.
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in Geosciences, Geoecology, Geophysics, Mineralogy, Physical Geography, Soil Science, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Computer Sciences, Civil Engineering or a field related to environmental sciences
- Good background in mathematics, chemistry, and physics
- Overall grade (CGPA) equivalent to or better than 2,5 German grading system
- English language proficiency: English test certificate or another proof of proficiency equivalent to level B2 of the Common European Framework CEFR (e.g. TOEFL iBT 79 points)
Since the degree is completely in English, you will need very good written and spoken English (either level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages or a score at least 213 points by the „Test of English as a Foreign Language“ in a computer based test). No formal certificate is required, if you are a native speaker, if your previous degree was taught in English or if your school-leaving exam gives evidence of a sufficient level of English.
The AEG program cannot be complemented with a minor subject.
The Master´s program is admission-restricted. The sufficient grade to be included in the numerus clauses is definite after the completion of the selection procedure.
Focused on quantitative and multidisciplinary approaches the AEG program offers graduates a wide platform for an academic career as well as excellent job perspectives in the private sector. Main fields of employment are:
- Further academic research career
- Environmental Consultant in areas such as Brown field redevelopment, Characterization of sites (hydrogeology, geophysics, chemical and microbiological analysis), Land Recycling/Land Development, Project development, Environmental risk assessment, Modeling of flow and reactive transport in subsurface systems, Environmental analytics
- Environmental Protection Agencies
Please click on the following link for further information concerning induction sessions taking place at the beginning of the semester: How to get started - general information for new students
Orientation for New Students and Beginners are found in the campus-system.
The examination administration is carried out by the Central Registrar´s Office of the University of Tübingen. Here you cand find the contact partners and their contact details
Angewandte Geowissenschaften Umwelt, Applied Environmental Geoscience