Leibniz – Zentrum Moderner Orient Berlin.
2016 – 2020
Doctor of Philosophy in History and Islamic Studies (Summa Cum Laude)
Department of History and Cultural Studies, Freie Universität Berlin
2008 – 2010
Master of Arts in Near East Studies
Hagop Kevorkian Center for Near East Studies, New York University
2003 – 2007
Bachelor of Arts in International Studies and History
City University of New York
- Das Königshaus mit neuer Mission”, Welt-Sichten, 21. 08. 2019. pp. 24-27. (The Royal Family with a New Mission).
- “Entertainment as a Marker of Religious Reform in Saudi Arabia”, CRSI Blog – University of Oxford, 13. 07. 2019. https://crsi.theology.ox.ac.uk/article/entertainment-as-a-marker-of-religious-reform-in-saudi-arabia
- “Stresstest für Salafisten”, Zenith, 06.06.2019. pp.74-77. (Pressure-test for Salafis).
- "Albania", in European Islamophobia Report 2016, Enes Bayrakli and Farid Hafez eds., (Istanbul: SETA, 2017)
- “Post Salafism: The Internal Revisionism and the Political Changes Transforming Saudi Salafism” in Religions Journal, Special Issue Editors W. Rory Dickinson and Meena Sharify-Funk (forthcoming).
- “Devotional Extremism: Muḥammad ʿAlawī al-Mālikī and the Debate over the Glorification of the Prophet in Saudi Arabia”, in The Presence of the Prophet: Muhammad in the mirror of his community in early modern and modern Islam, Stephan Reichmuth et. al. eds., in "Handbuch der Orientalistik" Brill Series (forthcoming).
- “In the Path of the Ancestors: The Ba ‘Alawi Sufi Order and the Struggle for Shaping the Future of Islam.” in Global Sufism: Boundaries, Structures, and Politics, Mark Sedgwick and Francesco Piraino eds., (London: Hurst, 2019).
- “The Return of Islam in South East Europe: Debating Islam and Islamic Practices of Family Law in Albania and Kosovo.” in, Applying Sharia in the West; Facts Fear and the Future of Islamic Rules on Family Relations in the West, Maurits S. Berger ed., (Leiden: Leiden University Press, 2013).
- DAVO (German Association of Middle Eastern Studies) Dissertation Award, 2021
- Fritz Thyssen Foundation Fellowship (2020-2021) Awarded for Postdoctoral Research at the Leibniz-Zentrum Moderner Orient (ZMO) Berlin.
- German Federal Excellency Program (2016 – 2020) Awarded to Doctoral Fellows at the Berlin Graduate School Muslim Cultures and Societies.
- Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship (2008 – 2010) United States Department of State, Awarded towards the pursuit of an MA at New York University.
- Critical Language Scholarship (CLS), Summer 2007. United States Department of State.
Awarded to continue the study of Arabic in Tangier, Morocco.
- Ward Medal for Excellency in Social Studies. May 2007 Awarded by the Department of Social Studies, City College of New York.
- Winston Scholarship for Study Abroad. Winter 2005. Awarded by the International Studies Program at City College of New York in support of studies at the Center for Cross-Cultural Learning in Rabat, Morocco.