- Prepare soil and pots on request
- Water and fertilize the plants
- Pest monitoring and plant safety measures in the greenhouses and the growth chambers with beneficial insects and chemicals
- Clean trays and covers
- Provide standard articles like pots, sticks, paper bags… (for a detailed list, contact Martin Boehme)
- Autoclave and discard S1 soil and remaining waste
- Provide a general stock of Arabidopsis and N. benthamiana plants
- Around the clock surveillance of field, greenhouse chambers and WIC-hall
- Help sowing seeds and piquing plants
- Help with seed production (repotting, staking and trimming of big plants)
- Help cutting bags with ripe Arabidopsis seeds
- Introduce new students to the plant cultivation as part of the ZMBP central facilities
- Everyone who wants to work in the greenhouse needs an introduction through the greenhouse staff.
- Everyone is responsible for his/her own plants! This means check your plants regularly. Bagging plants, harvesting seeds and disposal of old plants, is part of the owner.
- Every tray inside the greenhouse chambers needs to be labelled with name and group. Use yellow tags for transgenic lines and white tags for wild type plants.
- Plant treatments with bacteria, viruses or chemicals have to be marked on the tray, with a water resistant marker.
- The plant cultivation facility is S1 area. It is mandatory to wear adequate clothes. This includes closed footwear, long trousers and a lab coat. In case of Brassicaceae or other plants with irritating substances, use gloves, a FFP2 mask and safety glasses.
- Clean the workplace after usage.
Soil types and order information:
- Arabidopsis-soil: 70 l CL Topf (Patzer Erden, Art.Nr.: 10-00300) + 8 l sand (Flammer Bauunternehmung GmbH & Co. KG, Rheinsand).
Afterwards the mixture gets sieved (8 x 10 mm).
- GS90 soil: 70 l CL Topf grob 1+1 (Patzer Erden, Art.Nr.: 10-01000) + 10 l Vermiculite (Isola Vermiculite GmbH, Palabora 1-2 mm).
Afterwards the mixture gets sieved (8 x 10 mm) and steamed.
An order via email has to contain the amount and size of pots, the soil-type, as well as the information whether you want to have Gnatrol (biological insecticide).
Please order two days beforehand.
In case you have questions, don´t hesitate to contact the gardeners.