Englisches Seminar

Exchange Programmes


The English Department offers Erasmus+ places at 17 partner universities in 7 countries. Please find all the relevant information on the exchange programme and application procedure in the presentation of our last info meeting:

 More general information on the Erasmus+ programme and funding through the Erasmus+ Mobility Grant can also be found on the International Office's webpage.

How to Apply

Please follow the instructions in this document: How to apply

 Deadline for applications: The application deadline for an Erasmus stay in 2024/2025 has already passed. We will be accepting applications for the 2025/2026 period in the 2024/2025 winter semester.

Important Information

  1. Despite the possibility of receiving the EU Mobility Grant, an Erasmus stay is associated with high costs (e.g. for rent and living expenses). Erasmus stays in the UK can still be funded by the EU Mobility Grant, despite Brexit.
  2. Even though no language certificates are required for the Erasmus application at the English Department, our partner universities usually have (language) requirements for incoming Erasmus students. Since they differ between universities, students must inform themselves about these requirements in advance and fulfil them in time on their own responsibility (e.g. by completing a sufficient language test).
  3. A visa is required for stays outside the Schengen area (especially the UK). The type of visa needed depends on the length of stay and the personal circumstances. Students must independently inform themselves about the visa regulations that apply to them and are responsible for fulfilling them before leaving the country (e.g. by applying for the appropriate visa in time, if necessary).
  4. The Erasmus co-operations offered by the English Department are primarily aimed at undergraduates (Bachelor’s students). Master’s students can also go abroad with the English Department, but they will have to register as undergraduates at their host university and might encounter difficulties in getting their courses from abroad recognised for their studies back in Tübingen.
  5. Studying “English” abroad: Most of our co-operations are with other universities’ Modern Language Departments (≠ English!). Still, especially in Cultural Studies, it is often possible to get classes from other disciplines recognised.

Other Exchange Programmes

The exchange with Australian, Canadian and US universities is organised by Dezernat III Abteilung 1.
Information can be found on the webpage "Außereuropäischer Austausch".
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: The application process is different from applying through ERASMUS+ and it is organised by a different office.

Course Recognition

Courses successfully completed abroad under Erasmus+ can be recognised by your home university if they are equivalent in amount of work required and level of study (first year, second year etc). To this end, you must fill out a binding Learning Agreement and get it signed by Dr Chaghafi / Dr McColl and by the host university. You must go to the web pages of the host university and sort out what courses you wish to take in the light of what you might still require here at Tübingen. There are some restrictions, as for example, you must take one Hauptseminar (in Literature and Linguistics) here in Tübingen.

Because the Erasmus+ programme promises course recognition before you actually leave Tübingen, the Learning Agreement is an important document and the signatures on it are meaningful. Careless or unrealistic learning agreements will not be signed.

There is a chance to change the agreement once you arrive at the host university and face a situation on the ground different to that expected from the web. This happens frequently because the web-information is often still one semester out of date at the time you have to hand in your learning agreement. The changed learning agreement has to be signed and countersigned per email at the latest one month after your arrival at your host university; it also requires careful thought.

Note that course recognition requires that you pass the course at your host university. Your grade here will reflect the grade there. If you want a course recognised as a PSII, for example, then the requirements and the level of the course at the host university must be at least equivalent to the requirements for a PSII here at Tübingen.