You can start a Master’s degree in English Linguistics in either the winter or summer semester. There is an early application and an late application process.
Application closes on 15th July (non-EU applicants) and 15th September (EU applicants) for the winter semester.
Application closes on 15th January (non-EU applicants) and 31st March (EU applicants) for the summer semester.
Early application is strongly recommended for non-EU candidates because they may have to obtain student visas. We aim to process applications quickly and give applicants an answer within one month of these dates.
All applications are made on our online platform Alma:
You will need to provide the following documents:
- a certified copy of your B.A. degree
- a transcript of records showing your BA courses and grades (minimum >2.5 on German grading system).
- a certified copy of high school diploma
- a CV
- letter of motivation (max. two pages) in English saying why you want to do the MA English Linguistics, any particular interests you have in Linguistics, and what you hope to get out of the course.
- proof of competence in English at C1 level of CEFR
- a sample of your academic writing (2-3 pages). Please make it clear what course the writing is related to.
- optionally, you can provide additional evidence of other qualifications and/or professional experience which show that you have the knowledge and skills to make a success of an MA degree in English Linguistics.
More general information on the application process is available on the homepage of the student administration.
International Students can contact the Academic Advisory Office for International Students if they have questions about the application process from abroad: [BEZIS] (‘Beratungs- und Zulassungsstelle für internationale Studierende’).