You can start a Master’s degree in English Linguistics in either the winter or summer semester. There is an early application and an late application process. Early application closes on 31st March for the winter semester (starting in October), and 15th November for the summer term (starting in April). This early application is strongly recommended for non-EU candidates because they may have to obtain student visas. Late application closes on 31st May for the winter semester and 15th January for the summer term. We aim to process applications quickly and give applicants an answer within one month of these dates.
All applications are made on our online platform Alma:
You will need to provide the following documents:
- a certified copy of your B.A. degree
- a transcript of records showing your courses and grades.
- a certified copy of high school diploma
- a CV
- letter of motivation (max. two pages) in English saying why you want to do the MA English Linguistics, any particular interests you have in Linguistics, and what you hope to get out of the course.
- proof of competence in English at C1 level of CEFR
- a sample of your academic writing (2-3 pages). Please make it clear what course the writing is related to.
- optionally, you can provide additional evidence of other qualifications and/or professional experience which show that you have the knowledge and skills to make a success of an MA degree in English Linguistics.
More general information on the application process is available on the homepage of the student administration.
International Students can contact the Academic Advisory Office for International Students if they have questions about the application process from abroad: [BEZIS] (‘Beratungs- und Zulassungsstelle für internationale Studierende’).