Current students at University of Tübingen can register for the following tests:
- Current students in the English Department can do the DAAD or BVMD for any purpose
- Current students of Medicine who need to do the BVMD
- Current students applying via the DAAD for a DAAD scholarship or work placement
Please note: Our test CANNOT substitute for the IBT TOEFL or other standardised tests of a similar level.
The test appointments are administered by the English Department’s Main Office/Zentralsekretariat – room 362, ‘Brechtbau’ (Wilhelmstr. 50).
Please register for a test appointment in person or by email. If you register by email, be advised that your appointment is not set until you receive confirmation from the Main Office/Zentralsekretariat (note: emails cannot be processed outside our office hours). Appointments will NOT be organised by phone.
Make sure to register well in advance, as the following will apply at all times:
- Tests will take place on pre-scheduled, non-negotiable dates.
- A maximum of three students per appointment can be tested.
- Additional information (room, examiner, open slots) will be made available to you during the registration process.
Note: appointments update once per semester and do not automatically denote open slots.
Friday, September 22, 10:00
Monday, September 25, 9:00
Friday, September 29, 11:00
Wednesday, October 25, 10:30
Thursday, October 26, 14:00
Monday, October 30, 10:00
Wednesday, November 8, 10:30
Thursday, November 23, 14:00
Monday, November 27, 10:00
Wednesday, December 6, 10:30
Monday, December 18, 10:00
Thursday, December 21, 14:00
Wednesday, January 10, 10:30
Thursday, January 18, 14:00
Monday, January 29, 10:00
Tuesday, February 6, 10:30
Thursday, February 8, 14:00
Monday, February 26, 10:00
Tuesday, March 19, 9:00
Monday, March 25, 9:00
Please turn up to your appointment on time or early.
Please bring the following with you:
- The DAAD form (or equivalent).
- Some form of photo-ID.
- A writing sample in English no older than 18 months (e.g. course work, something published or a letter of motivation)
Note: the DAAD form and photo-ID are mandatory. You will NOT be tested without them.
The test will last approximately 20 minutes. Your ability to listen to, read, speak and write English will be examined. You should have reached a level at which you could live and study in an English-speaking environment.
How to Prepare
In the time leading up to the test, it is best to immerse yourself in as much English as possible – watch programmes/films in English, read newspapers/magazines/websites in English; if you have the opportunity, speak English as well.
Full or partial exemptions are possible if any of the following apply:
- You have already studied English at university level (e.g. you are currently studying English here at Tübingen);
- You have attended a university-level course/courses held and assessed in English;
- You have recently proven your English ability by passing a higher-level exam (e.g. IBT TOEFL, Cambridge Certificates, etc. – less than two years old).
You must provide proof of any of the above, which may not be more than 24 months/2 years old, to be exempt from the test.
You should still make the usual appointment; make sure to bring any original documents with you and some form of photo-ID. If you do NOT have the original documents and/or the photo-ID, your DAAD grades will NOT be calculated.