Application to MA Archaeology
I am interested in MA Archaeology, but am I qualified?
For admission in the MA program, you need a:
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) with a grade of at least 2.5 (German grading system) or better
- English language proficiency equivalent to CEFR level B2 GER.
It’s recommended that students hold either a:
- Bachelor in Archaeology (ideally with some additional experience in Natural Sciences)
- Or a Bachelor in a neighbouring discipline like Cultural Studies, Social Anthropology, Geosciences or History (ideally with some additional experience in Archaeology)
If the Bachelor you hold does not match exactly the ones mentioned before, then this may not necessarily be an exclusion criterion, the professors will take the final decision on your application.
Note: - German language proficiency is not required as the ASHE program is taught completely in English.
- You don't need to have completed your Bachelor degree, you can also apply if you will graduate before October.
Where do I submit my application?
International students have to submit your application online:
For questions regarding the application process, please contact the International Students Admissions Office by e-mail: study. @uni-tuebingen.de
German students find information on the application here:
When is the application deadline?
EU applicants: September 30 for the following winter semester.
Non-EU applicants: July 15 for the following winter semester.
When does the program start?
The study program can be started in the winter semester only. The winter semester starts in mid-October.
How can I improve the chances to get accepted for admission?
It is highly recommended to write a short letter of motivation (1 page), detailing 1) your background, 2) why you think that you fit the program, and 3) your research interest and which of the six specializations you would like to pursue within the program (Stone Age Archaeology - Later European Prehistory - Near Eastern Archaeology and Archaeology of the Southern Levant - Classical Archaeology - Medieval and Post-Medieval Archaeology / Historical Archaeology). The professors will take the final decision on your application and a letter of motivation can always be helpful with that.