The IBMI members agreed on the following rules, which partially extend the minimum requirements of the PromO, and aim to ensure the quality of doctoral theses. Higher-level rules and regulations remain unaffected.
- Doctoral candidates are supervised by a Thesis Advisory Committee (TAC).
- Members of the TAC will be selected by the doctoral candidate and their supervisor.
- A TAC has at least three members and must meet the following requirements
- The supervisor is a member of the TAC.
- At least one TAC member is a member of the IBMI.
- At least two TAC members meet the requirements as defined in § 4(5) of the Promotionsordnung.
- The doctoral candidate will meet at least once a year with their TAC and reports on the progress of the doctorate.
- In principle, it is possible to submit a cumulative doctoral thesis.
- The TAC makes a recommendation for the most appropriate form of the dissertation. 1
- The recommendations for cumulative dissertations of the MNF are to be applied.
1 For the possible forms of dissertations, please see also the subpage "Doctoral Qualification Process"