The Chemistry department in Tuebingen has a long tradition. The first lab rooms were housed in Hohentuebingen Castle as early as 1753; in 1899, the chemistry institutes on Wilhelmstraße were established. In 1972, the Chemistry department moved to the campus on the hill. The building housing the institutes has been completely reconstructed within the last years. The lab rooms and research labs of the chemistry institutes are now the most advanced in Germany, complying with the latest safety standards and providing state-of-the-art equipment.