The School of Business and Economics has decided to introduce a new mechanism of registering your interest in writing a master thesis in order to facilitate the process for you. We ask every student who plans to start on their thesis in the next semester to fill out a short survey listing which modules they have already taken, their grades and the work unit (Lehrstuhl) they would like to be supervised by. Students who already have a supervisor are asked to please fill out the survey and state in the additional comments that they already have been accepted by [Person who agreed to supervise them].
The deadline for registering your interest to write a master thesis in the following winter semester is:
Deadline: July 30, 2019
Caution: Filling out the survey only takes about 5 minutes but please be careful as you cannot change your answers once you have provided them.
The survey is conducted via Ilias. Please make sure you have your transcript of your Bachelor degree ready as you will need to upload this along with your current transcript to complete your registration. We know that not all students have access to their full current transcript yet as the examinations office is still entering grades into the system. Please just upload your current transcript as it is, even if it is blank.
At the end of the survey you will be asked to list the work groups you would like to be supervised by, you need to provide 5 different priorities here to make sure your application is valid.
After the application deadline we will pass on a list of all students who listed a specific work unit as their first priority to that work unit. Should they not be able to supervise all of them they will inform us of who they cannot supervise (possibly after speaking with you first) which means that we will then get in touch with those students’ other priorities.
We can make the following promises if you fill out this survey correctly, have earned a minimum of 30 ECTS in your M.Sc. degree and upload your transcripts:
1. You will be made an offer of supervision at the end of this process by one of your priorities.
2. The work unit you listed as first priority will receive your application first.
3. We will keep you informed about the status of your application.
4. All of your information is confidential and only used to facilitate the registration process for the Master Thesis. Only the conductor of the survey and the academic staff with have access to your information to process your application.
- Students who want to write their Master Thesis at the chair have to register on ILIAS as mentioned above in 'Application Master Thesis'.
- The next step is to register at the Examination Office with this form Formular. The Examinations Office verifies your admission requirements (regular matriculation, required minimum number of credits). After your admission requirements are verified, you will receive an approval document signed by the head of the examination board. The handling time for the process at the Examinations Office is approximately one or two weeks. After having received the approval document by the Examinations Office, you have one month to start writing your thesis (please pay attention to the dates on the approval document).
- Please contact the chair again once you have received the approval document. Students can make 2-3 proposals for topics and then the exact topic will be determined by the chair. It is not mandatory to make proposals since students can also ask the chair if a suitable topic for their thesis is available. The approval document will be completed at the chair with the topic of the Master Thesis and signed. From this day on, you know your exact topic and you have 18 weeks to complete your Master Thesis. Please note that the starting date has to be within the period that you applied for. If you miss the deadline, the acceptance by the chair expires.
- The chair will send the filled out and signed approval document back to the Examinations Office. They will receive the information and will oversee the deadline.
- Please note that requirements by the Examinations Office always take precedence.
Please check the Leaflet 'Guidelines for Writing a Bachelor Thesis, Seminar Paper, or Master Thesis provided by the chair.
Valid from summer term 2018
Upper limit for this course is 12 participants. To participate you should register at ILIAS "Registration B550 Masterseminar in International Business Taxation Summer Term XXXX" until 31st March.