- SWS: 2P - 4 ECTS
- This practical course complements the lecture on Massively Parallel Computing. Visiting the practical course without attending the lecture is not allowed.
Graphics processors contain hundreds of parallel processing elements and thus enable us to explore this realm of massively parallel computing today. The high number of parallel cores poses a great challenge for software design that must expose massive parallelism to benefit from the new hardware. The main purpose of the practical course is to experience and practice the design of massively parallel applications on a student selected topic. The aim is to take a computationally hard problem, to analyze tasks and necessary data structures, to design a demanding parallel application, and to finally turn it into an efficient massively parallel implementation.
- long term assignment til end of July 2012
- one student selected topic from any field, needs to be computationally intense
- sample problems on current research topics in various fields will be announced
- students are required to provide a written project proposal
- they need to implement the project and
- present the solution during the last lectures
- written project summary is due in August 2012
- will depend on the quality of the project solution, on the evaluation of results and on the difficulty and the realization