Chair of Greater China Studies
- 1985-1989: Student of Political Science, Law and Sinology at the Universities of Marburg and Hamburg
- 1990-1992: Visiting Scholar at the Institute of International Relations, National Chengchi University, Taipei
- 1993-1994: Research Fellow, Institute of Political Science, University of Hamburg
- 1994: Ph.D. in Political Science; University of Hamburg
- 1994-2003: Senior Research Fellow for East Asian Politics and Society, Protestant Institute for Interdisciplinary Research (FESt), Heidelberg
- 2000: Habilitation in Political Science, University of Hamburg
- Since: 2003: Chair Professor of Greater China Studies, University of Tübingen
- Since 2008: Director of the European Research Center on Contemporary Taiwan (ERCCT), University of Tübingen
- 2017-2019: Einstein Visiting Fellow Plus, Graduate School of East Asian Studies (GEAS), Freie Universität Berlin
- Since 2020: Associate Research Professor at GEAS, Freie Universität Berlin
- Local governance and policy implementation in the PRC
- Private entrepreneurship and state business relations in the PRC
- Cross-Strait political economy and Taiwanese businesspeople on the Chinese mainland
- Taiwan and Hong Kong domestic politics
- China’s impact on the regional and global order
Prof. Schubert conducts field work in the PRC, Taiwan and Hongkong every year and maintains a closely-knit network with scholars and academic institutions in East Asia. He has published extensively in German, English, French and Chinese in top-ranked international journals. He is member of the Executive Editorial Board of the International Journal of Taiwan Studies, associate editor of Issues & Studies and sits on the editorial board of numerous academic journals in the U.S., Europe, China and Taiwan.
Recent Book Publications
- Taiwan During the First Administration of Tsai Ing-Wen: Navigating Stormy Waters (co-edited by Lee Chun-Yi). Abingdon-New York: Routledge, 2022.
- Weapons of the Rich: Strategic Action of Private Entrepreneurs in Contemporary China (co-authored with Thomas Heberer), Singapur: World Scientific, 2021.
- Immigration Governance in East Asia. Norm Diffusion, Politics of Identity, Citizenship (co-edited by Franziska Plümmer and Anastasiya Bayok). Abingdon-New York: Routledge, 2021.
- The Taiwan Handbook on Contemporary Taiwan (editor). Abingdon-New York: Routledge, 2016.