2004 – 2008: Bachelor of Science in Chemistry and Biology at Cairo University (double degree)
2008– 2012: Master of Science in Microbiology at Cairo University
Master Thesis at the Department for Chemistry of Natural and Microbial Products, National Research Centre (subject: Chemistry and Microbiology) on “Biological Evaluation and Chemical Identification of Secondary Metabolites of Endophytic Fungi’’ evaluated by Prof. Naresh Magan (Cranfield University, UK).
2009 – 2014: Research assistantat the Department for Chemistry of Natural and Microbial Products, National Research Centre, Cairo.
2012–2013: Visiting Scholar at the Institute for Microbial and Biochemical Technology, Forest Products Laboratory, USDA, Madison, USA (Mentor: Prof. Dr. Thomas W. Jeffries; University of Wisconsin-Madison)
2014 – 2019: Ph.D. in Biology (DAAD scholarship) at the Eberhard Karls University of Tübingen (Dr. rer. nat.; summa cum laude/ Excellent with honors)
Ph.D. Thesis at the Department of Organismic Interactions (Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Karl Forchhammer) on “Structural and Functional Characterization of PII and PII-like Proteins and their Network of Interactions’’
Ph.D. Thesis awards:
- „Reinhold-und-Maria-Teufel-Stiftung Promotionspreis“ in 2019
- „Uni Tübingen Promotionspreis“ in 2020
Since 2019: Junior Group Leader at the Interfaculty Institute of Microbiology and Infection Medicine, Department of Organismic Interactions, Eberhard Karls University of Tübingen
Research interests: Molecular and structural mechanisms of carbon/nitrogen metabolisms; Cell signaling with special emphasison PII signal transductionsuperfamily (PII and PII-like proteins) and second messenger signaling; Multicellularity and developmental processes in cyanobacteria.
- Guest Editor for Life
- Member of the VAAM (German Society for microbiology)
- Member of the VAAM Special Group (Fachgruppe) "Cyanobakterien"
- Associate Member of the Research training group (GRK1708) “Molecular principles of bacterial survival strategies’’
- Guest Scientist at Max Planck Institute for Developmental Biology, Protein Evolution Dept.
- Member Interfaculty Graduate School of Infection Biology and Microbiology (IGIM), Tübingen University