Englisches Seminar

Studienberatung / Help and Advice


If you have a question regarding your studies in the English Department, be sure to check our list of Frequently Asked Questions. This is the quickest way to get an answer. Please note that the individual degree programs may have additional FAQs (listed alongside their "Curriculum" & "Application" pages).

English Department Helpdesk

Whenever you cannot find an answer in the FAQ, the first place to go to with questions or problems concerning your studies is generally the English Department Helpdesk. Student assistants will help you with questions concerning course selection, registration on Campus, preparation for exams, as well as a range of other issues. We speak German and English; for further information please see the Helpdesk page.

The following concerns require the signature of a student adivisor. Please refer to the respective advisor directly (see the staff roster for office hours and contact information):

Credit Recognition (Scheinanerkennung)

If you need an official signature for recognizing prior credits ("Scheinanerkennung") please see one of the relevant student advisors:

Changing Course of Studies and Specialist Advice

If you want to change your course of studies or if you need specialist advice, please see one of the student advisors:

Mobility Option

For questions regarding the mobility option of the B.A. IAS program, please contact Dr. Thomas Gijswijt. Please allow 1-2 weeks for a response.

Erasmus Students

Erasmus Students can contact erasmusspam prevention@es.uni-tuebingen.de if they plan to take courses at the department. If you are an Erasmus student there are several things you need to know about registering for courses:

  1. Registration for all courses takes place online via Campus and you can find a full list of all the courses there.
  2. Many instructors will want to speak to you directly before you sign up for their course, so please go to their office hours or write them an e-mail and let them know who you are and what course you want to take.

BAföG Financial Aid

For "BAföG-Bescheinigungen (Formular 5)," please see one of the following advisors (be sure to bring proof of credits, e.g. your "Scheine," or a transcript, or a printout of your grades from Campus):

Further resources:

Research and Writing Center

If you need help with writing assignments, essays, term papers, etc., you can also make an appointment with the English Department’s excellent Research and Writing Center. This service is offered by highly skilled student tutors who will assist you confidentially.

Student Body Organisation (Fachschaft Anglistik/Amerikanistik)

Another helpful resource offered by students is the website of the student body organisation. You can also find them on Facebook.