In 1971, the Institute was renamed the „Institut für Sportwissenschaft” (Institute of Sports Science).
In 1973, the student numbers at the University of Tübingen increased dramatically. Enrolments at the Institute, which was originally set up for 200-250 students, reached over 1200.
In 1975, the “Investigative Body for Sports Medicine” was established in Wächterstraße. In 1976, Professor Dr. Dieter Jeschke took the Chair in Sports Medicine in the Faculty of Medicine.
In 1977, Professor Dr. Hartmut Gabler took the Chair in “Sports Science with special expertise in Sports Psychology”.
In 1979, Professor Dr. Ulrich Göhner took the Chair in “Sports Science with special expertise in Movement Science/Biomechanics”. This year also saw the new University gymnasium in Alberstraße come into service.
In 1986, the Diploma programme was established.
In 1999, Prof. Dr. Ommo Grupe was made Emeritus Professor. In the same year, Professor Dr. Helmut Digel took the Chair in Sports Science with special expertise in Sports Sociology”.