Werner Reichardt Centrum für Integrative Neurowissenschaften (CIN)


The BAW offers support in finding suitable childcare, especially for female researchers in the CIN. The municipal day care centres (Kitas) provide places for children as from the age of one year (some places are even available for six-month-olds). For emergency cases, the CIN has reserved a special Kita position (KiKo-place, see below), or can help you to find a professional childminder. If you need our assistance, please send an email, stating:

  • your child’s day of birth,
  • the times you need covered,
  • starting date,
  • your address,
  • your position in or affiliation with the CIN.

Municipal Childcare Facilities

The City of Tübingen offers diverse and flexible childcare options ranging from traditional forms of half-day Kindergarten to full-day-care for children from the age of one year, as well as after- (and pre-)school-care for pupils. Please note that the full-day-care positions are contested. We therefore recommend applying for a place as early as possible!

Since 2011, all full-day-care positions are allocated by the municipal childcare department. If you need a place for your child from Sept. 2012 onwards, you need to register no later than March the 25th 2012. You can apply for a place personally, by letter, or by email. Please use the municipal application form (download here) that is found on the website of the Tübingen City childcare department (for reference: here).

NOTE: Due to the city’s immediate-action-programme there’s a chance for a last-minute-place.

If you need a half-time place for your child you can directly contact the institution of your choice. You find an overview of the Tübingen Kitas and kindergartens on the municipal childcare department’s web pages where all facilities (municipal and non-municipal institutions) are listed. Here you can also attach the latest version of the Tübingen Kita charges depending on and staggered by family income, as well as further relevant information regarding childcare in Tübingen.

KiKo ("Kinderbetreuung in Kooperation")

The CIN has rented a permanent Kita place (KiKo place) at the Kinderhaus Feuerhägle (Tübingen-Derendingen, Primus-Truber-Straße 45, 72072 Tübingen) which is meant to cover emergency cases, e.g. when the Kita application deadlines can’t be satisfied because of a sudden moving in of a new CIN employee. In such cases, the CIN can transitionally provide its KiKo place (generally for up to six months) claiming charges accordingly the municipal tariff.


If you are in need of care for a child younger than one year, or you didn’t get a Kita place, the childminding service Eltern- und Tageselternverein Tübingen can help you to find a professional childminder.

For children under the age of one year, the costs for a childminder are funded by the administrative district of Tübingen. For further information, please see the web pages of the Landratsamt Tübingen or contact the respective department (Tel. +49 7071 24079).

Childcare Accompanying Special Events

The BAW also assists you when you need to organize short-term childcare, e.g. during the times of evening colloquia and talks. Don’t hesitate to contact us!