The University Library offers a varierty of online courses which might be helpful during your studies. Have a look through our self-study modules such as How to Cite Properly, How to Find Literature in Catalogues, Databases and Academic Search Engines and Regular Expressions.
Your student identity card is also your library card. However you need to activate your library account with an initial login. You can either select “My account” on our homepage and sign in using your university login (zxo...) or log into one of the Windows PCs in the library.
- More information on library card and borrowing.
You can discover most of the library’s media under Books & more in the Catalog plus. If you find an item in Catalog plus which you would like to borrow, please take a note of the book’s call number and location (in Holdings Info).
Most online articles and essays can be found through the tap Articles&more.
There are also some special collections.
The library branches auf der Morgenstelle provide literature for the natural sciences.
Campus Morgenstelle has the following libraries:
- Branch Library Natural Sciences (Bereichsbibliothek Naturwissenschaften)
- PCB-Bib (Chemistry, Pharmacology, Biology, Biochemistry)
A short overview of media locations in the University Library:
- Open stacks: in the Ammerbau. Books are shelved in numerical order according to the book’s shelf mark (call number). Items in this area can be taken from the shelves and checked out using the self-checkout stations next to Desk (Ausleihzentrum).
- Closed stacks: items marked in the library catalogue with the location “stacks” must be ordered, as they are stored in a closed off area. The items you order can be picked up the next day from self-service collection shelves in the area adjacent to the Lending Center Desk and checked out. Some items may have lending restrictions and may only be used within the Ammerbau or the Manuscript Reading Room (Handschriftenlesesaal).
- Textbook collection (Lehrbuchsammlung):
You can find important textbooks from each field of study at the university in the area adjacent to and in the gallery above the Lending Center Desk. They are shelved according to their subject area and call number and can be taken home.
- Non-circulating collections: in the Ammerbau on floor 3. Important reference books, specialized bibliographies and text books which are shelved according to subject area. You can only work with these items inside the library.
- Manuscript Reading Room (Handschriftenlesessaal in the Bonatzbau):
These items cannot be borrowed. Copying is usually permitted.
You can check out books yourself using our self-checkout stations in the Lending Center (Ausleihzentrum). Just follow the steps on the screen. You just need your library card. For returning the items, you take them to the return station (Rückgabe) in the Lending Center. You don't need your library card for this. Just follow the steps on the screen. You can also drop off media in the return box near the main entrance.
If you have an further questions ask a staff member in the Lending Center.
You can borrow books for 28 days. Using your online library account, you can extend the lending period: Log in at "My account“ with your university login ID (e.g., zxy...) and then select → ”Display or renew checked out item”
You may renew your items as often as you like. However, the maximum lending period is 4 x 28 (112) days.
If another user has reserved your book you will not be able to renew it.
Access your library account to:
- check the due date of your items
- see any reservations placed by other users
- renew your items
As students of the University of Tübingen you can use the PC workstations marked green and red within the library after logging on using your university login.
If you bring your own laptop you can connect to the Internet on campus through Eduroam, the university’s wireless network, using your university login ID (e.g. zxo...@uni-tuebingen.de).
If you want to connect to the university network from home, you first have to set up a VPN (Virtual Private Network) connection.
There are quiet learing areas and group working spaces within the library. Due to the current hygiene concept and social distancing rules some areas may not be available at the moment: group rooms in the Ammerbau, historic reading room (Historischer Lesesaal im Bonatzbau).
You can find empty workspaces by using our Seatfinder.
Please pay attention to our hygiene concept and social distancing rules as well as the measures that we have taken to ensure proper distancing in the open areas.
There are many self-service, multifunctional printers/scanner/photocopiers available throughout the library. In the main building, in Ammerbau and in Waschhalle there are colour- and black/white multifuntional stations.
When you send files for printing you can pick up and pay for your print-outs using your charged student card, which can be used to pay for scans or photocopies too.
You will need to install a printer driver if you want to print from your own laptop.
Book scanners can be found on the 3rd floor of the Ammerbau. Instructions are next to the scanner.
Any questions about printing, scanning and copying should be adressed to the company in charge:
Office: Ammerbau, Room 326
Office hours: Mon - Fri 11 am - 2 pm
Ph: +49 (0)7071 29 74625,
Mon - Fri from 9 am - 6 pm