Prof Dr Jürg Häusermann
Jürg Häusermann, born in 1951, is emeritus professor of Media Science (media analysis and media production).
Since the 1970s I have been involved in work on the language and rhetoric of media and media criticism with a special focus on sonic media (especially radio and audiobooks). My research combines aspects of media content with reflection on the role of the media in public communication. It is very important for me to make my research relevant outside the university. Therefore I like to conduct seminars for journalists and to teach rhetoric to university faculty.
I studied German language and literature and Slavic studies at the University of Zürich, Switzerland, and at the Linguistic University of Moscow, USSR. In 1977 I received my Ph.D. from the University of Zürich with a thesis on phraseology. My interest in the analysis of media language began during a research project supported by the Swiss National Fund. This led to my book on radio and TV entertainment which had a media-didactic approach ("Und dabei liebe ich euch beide", 1978).
From 1978 to 1993 I trained journalists and at the same time freelanced for Swiss public radio and television DRS. Meeting experienced teachers and other media professionals opened new perspectives of media analysis that continue to influence my work to this day. During this time Heiner Käppeli and I wrote the book Rhetorik für Radio und Fernsehen (1986). My courses on print journalism resulted in the textbook Journalistisches Texten (1993).
From 1985 to 1989 I was a professor of Germanic Philology and History of the German language at the University of Trieste, Italy. In 1993 I was appointed professor at the University of Tübingen with a specialization in media analysis and media production. Twice, I held the position of acting chair of the Department of German. I love teaching and I continue to experiment with new didactical methods.
Other professional functions
- Reviewer for universities, public institutions, academic foundations
- Trainer in journalism schools (ARD, SRG, MAZ Lucerne)
- Jury member for journalism awards (Diakonie-Journalistenpreis, Wegweiser-Preis)
- Co-organiser of international conferences
- Häusermann, J., Janz-Peschke, K., & Rühr, S. (2010). Das Hörbuch. [The audiobook. ]Konstanz: UVK.
- Häusermann, J. (2008). Schreiben. [Writing.] Konstanz: UVK.
- Häusermann, J. (ed.) (2000). Inszeniertes Charisma. [Staged charisma.] Tübingen: Niemeyer.
- Häusermann, J. (1998). Radio. [Radio broadcasting] Tübingen: Niemeyer.
- Häusermann, J. (1993). Journalistisches Texten [Journalistic writing] (new editions: UVK, Konstanz, 2001-2011). Aarau/Frankfurt am Main: Sauerländer.
- Häusermann, J., & Käppeli, H. (1986). Rhetorik für Radio und Fernsehen [Rhetoric for Radio and TV] (second edition 1994). Aarau/Frankfurt am Main: Sauerländer.
- Häusermann, J. (1978). Und dabei liebe ich euch beide. Unterhaltung durch Schlager und Fernsehserien. [Entertainment through pop songs and tv series] Wiesbaden: Breitkopf & Härtel.
Complete list of publications: PDF-file.