The aim of the Teach@Tübingen program is to give young international academics the opportunity to become familiar with research and teaching at a German university, and thereby to expand the amount of courses given in foreign languages at the University of Tübingen. For the teaching individuals it also offers chances to broaden research horizons and build professional ties.
PhD candidates in an advanced stage of their doctoral studies and Postdocs who have earned their PhD in the last 4 years preferably from strategically important partners of the University of Tübingen (according to the list of eligible partnerships).
PhD candidates and postdocs who are currently or have been funded by other projects at the University of Tübingen or already had an employment contract at the University of Tübingen in the past are not eligible to apply.
PhD candidates can only apply if the graduation is scheduled before the start of the fellowship. The fellowship can only be granted subject to the completion of the doctorate. A corresponding confirmation (at least about the submission of the dissertation) should be submitted before the start of the fellowship, otherwise the fellowship will be postponed to the following semester.
List of eligible partnerships
> Matariki Network of Universities (MNU)
> CIVIS, incl. African Partner Universities
- Academic ties with the Professor with whom the candidate is placed are essential
- Classes must be held for a minimum of 2 teaching hours/week (2 SWS)
- The classes offered must be made public and be open to all students.
- The classes offered are not allowed to replace basic teaching and should be designed to attract a large number of students.
- The classes offered must be held in English or another foreign language (philology).
- The candidate must attend an informative event and an intercultural training during the two weeks before teaching starts
Please note: Teaching is a very important part of the program. The quality of teaching will be given special consideration in the application process.
- PhD candidates EUR 1468/month
- Postdocs EUR 1853/month
2. Remuneration for teaching (min. 2 SWS/max. 6 SWS)
- PhD candidates EUR 25/teaching hour (SWS)
- PostDocs EUR 50/teaching hour (SWS)
3. Travel expenses for travelling to Tübingen up to EUR 1500 (documented costs, no reimbursement of moving expenses or travel expenses of family members)
4. Child benefit
- EUR 400/month (1. child)
- EUR 100/month (each additional child)
Duration of stay
Duration of stay: 1-2 semesters (min. 6 months/max. 12 months)
Suggested arrival period: 15th-31st March (starting summer semester) or 15th-30th September (starting winter semester)
How to apply?
Applications can be submitted from 1st May/1st October. The application is submitted online via the application portal.
Online Application Portal
Please note: two PDF documents must be uploaded as follows
- Letter of support from the hosting professor at the University of Tuebingen (max. 2 pages)
- Cover letter from the candidate stating his/her motivation for participating in the Teach@Tübingen program (max. 2 pages)
- CV (max. 2 pages)
- Certificate of language proficiency (English or other language of instruction) - min. C1 (not applicable for native speakers)
- List of most important publications (max. 10, max. 1 page)
- Proven teaching experience (max. 1 page)
- Course(s) which will be taught in Tübingen including the title of the planned course(s), the type of class (lecture, seminar...), the number of teaching hours taught per week (SWS), and a short abstract on the contents of the planned course(s) (max. 1 page per course)
- Contents of proposed research (max. 1 page)
- Max. 2 further reference letters
- Certificate of the candidate's most recent university degree (Masters or PhD)
June 20 Visit: from April 1 the following year
November 20 Visit: from October 1 the following year