Office: Brechtbau 470
Tel: +(49) (0) 7071 29-72377
Research areas: Psycholinguistics, syntax, syntax/processing boundary phenomena, sentence-level structures, grammar architectures, experimental syntax
Research project: Project C6 Expressions of extrapropositional meaning in the SFB 833 Constructing Meaning (2013-2021)
Project Office: Room 2.09, Nauklerstraße 35, Tübingen 72074
Co-project leader: Prof. Katrin Axel-Tober
Project members: Ira Eberhardt, Kalle Müller, Fabian Renz, Vivian Schreier, Sophie von Wietersheim
Classes summer term 2020
- HS/OS: Marooned on a Island, Thursday 8-10
- KO: Topics for candidates, Thursday 10-12
- PS/Ü: Early Modern English, Tuesday 8-10
- PS/Ü: Clause Structure in German and English, Wednesday 8-10
- KO: Exam preparation, compact course in September/October 2020
Associated classes summer term 2020
- Clause Structure tutorial, Monday 10-12, taught by Clara Vossmann
- Clause Structure tutorial, Monday 12-14, taught by Clara Vossmann
- Advanced syntax tutorial, Tuesday 10-12, taught by Katja Bisinger and Alicia Bitzer
- Early Modern English and Biblical Interpretations of Shakespeare's Great Tragedies, Friday 14-16, taught by Dr. Siobhán Higgins-Welter
- Early Modern English and Elizabethan Theatre: Shakespeare and His Contemporaries, Friday 16-18 taught by Dr. Siobhán Higgins-Welter
Equal Opportunities: I am currently Equal Opportunities Representative (Gleichstellungsbeauftragter) of the School of Modern Languages (Fachbereich Neuphilologie) and Deputy Equal Opportunities Representative in the Faculty of Humanities (Philosophische Fakultät). Please come and see me or drop me an e-mail if you would like my help, advice, or information on an equal opportunities issue.
Frequently asked questions: It's sensible to read these answers before sending me an e-mail.
Publications: You can look at some publications.
Office hours in term time: Tuesdays 16:00 - 17:00, normally. But just at present you can only send me an e-mail. Don't phone without arranging a phone call by e-mail first.
Office hours out of term time: Tuesday 10:00, but not every week, the dates appear here. But just at present you have to send me an e-mail instead.
CV: I don't like long introductions to speakers; I don't actually think anybody likes them. They are deeply embarrassing and unbearably sycophantic. I am happiest if you just say "Here is Sam Featherston from Tübingen to talk to you about X."
Other interests: My family, politics, running, walking, punting on the Neckar, mountains, travel, my bike, anything active outdoors, pizza, discussion, languages, curry, France, Italy, Africa, Europe, dark chocolate, economics, architecture, feminism, Britten, Mahler, London and Paris - for their glorious ethnic and cultural diversity, T.S. Eliot, George Eliot, deep dark red wine, the Wife of Bath, Michael Nyman, blackberry and apple crumble, Tübingen old town, hawthorn blossom, bluebell woods, limestone landscapes, the Atlantic coasts of Britanny and Devon/Cornwall, mountain huts, the political sanity of Germany compared to Britain, cheese fondue, nice goats, Cox's apples, tangy orange marmalade, south German potato salad, espresso in Italy, the civilized atmosphere of Kusterdingen, Italian ice cream, street markets in Palermo, Genoa, and Napoli, the seafood Marché des Lices in Rennes, cornish pasties, the gothic cathedrals of France, my job, Tracey Enim, conceptual art, Comté cheese, Käsespätzle, Italian Renaissance architecture, working at an exzellente Uni, the Queyras national park, cats, running around barefoot in shorts and a tee-shirt all summer long, ...