University Library

A Profile of the Library

Tübingen University Library is the second-largest scientific library in Baden-Württemberg. It provides literature and services not only to scientists, staff and students at the University of Tübingen, but is also open to researchers from all around the world as well as to members of the public.

Tübingen University Library is a central facility at the Eberhard Karl University, which was founded in 1477. Together with the IT Center (Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung, ZDV), the library forms the information, communication and media center (IKM).

The University Library includes:

Wilhelmstraße and Morgenstelle Campus (more details in the guidance system).

Wilhelmstraße buildings


The former main building of the University Library was constructed in neoclassical style by Stuttgart architect Paul Bonatz (1877-1956) in 1910-1912.

This building holds:

Main building

The main building of the University Library (planned by the Tübingen university building office) came into operation in 1963 and was extensively renovated in 2011.

This building holds:

  • the main entrance to the library with a foyer and the University Library cafeteria
  • the Lending Center on the 1st floor
  • the management and administration of the University Library on the 2nd floor.


The Ammerbau section of the University Library came into use in 2002. Access is via a glass bridge from the Lending Center in the main building.

The Ammerbau holds:

Alte Waschhalle

Built in 1930, the building got its name from having been the university hospital laundry. Access is via a glass bridge from the Ammerbau.

The Alte Waschhalle has:

  • numerous individual work spaces
  • periodical volumes of subscribed journals.