BIOINF3310 Phylogeny and Evolution
|Lecturers||Prof. Daniel Huson and Caner Bagci|
Lectures will be pre-recorded and made available Tuesdays at 8am via Ilias.
The lecturer is available for questions and discussions on Wednesdays at 11:30 (Zoom)
Assignments will be made available every Tuesday at 8am via Ilias. Solutions are due by the following Tuesday at 8am.
Weekly tutorials will take place Tuesdays 8:15-9:45 via Zoom, starting 10-Nov. Participation is mandatory.
The time and date of tutorials will be discussed in the first session and may be subject to change.
|Exam||Oral exam, online.|
|Audience||Bachelor and master students, bioinformatics, 6 LP|
This course gives an introduction to the basic concepts and methods of phylogenetics.
Weekly assignments are handed out in class.
|3.11.20||1. Graphs and trees||Assignment 1|
|10.11.20||2. Counting trees and distances between trees||Assignment 2|
|17.11.20||3. Maximum parsimony methods||Assignment 3|
|8.12.20||4. Simple models of evolution||Assignment 6|
|15.12.20||5. Distance-based methods||Assignment 7|
|12.1.21||6. Maximum-likelihood estimation||Assignment 9|
|19.1.21||7. Bayesian methods||Assignment 10|
|26.1.21||8. Comparison and consensus||Assignment 11|
|2.2.21||9. Phylogenetic context||Assignment 12|
|9.2.21||10. Phylogenetic networks||Assignment 13|
|Free for exam preparation.|
|Exam:||Oral exams online, time and date to be confirmed.|
There will be a makeup exam on March 31, 10-12h??? (date not yet confirmed).
- Felsenstein, Inferring Phylogenies, Sinauer, 2004
- Huson, Rupp und Scornavacca, Phylogenetic Networks, Cambridge University Press, 2010
How to get credit for this course
- Always participate in the weekly problem sessions and actively present your results. If you miss more than two tutorials, then you will not be allowed to take the exam.
- Assignments are set weekly and are due the following week.
- Obtain at least 50% of all points. If you obtain 70%, 80% or 90% of all possible assignment points, then you will receive bonus points toward your exam.
- Pass the exam.